What's new

Cheap Receiver/Speakers (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you can find the Athenas for $70 a pair then great, but every Best Buy i've been to (4 total) in the past week or so still had them for $199 each, $398 for the pair.

Andrew Sch

Auditioning
Okay. I have it down to the following three systems:

Onkyo S770 - 6.1 system with the onkyo sr502 amp (or something that resembles it sufficiently closely, so as not to matter). Oh, I would get it from vanns.com so it would come with two speaker stands.

Rocket Tyke Kenwood Bundle - av123.com - including the kenwood vrs 7100 receiver

The following custom setup:
2xNHT Superzero XU speakers, $170 shipped from onecall.com
Denon AVR-1603 for $185 shipped from macmall.com
Dayton 10" subwoofer from partsexpress.com $150 shipped.
For a total of $500ish (note that I could get more superzeroes down the line, hopefully)

Which setup will have the best sound quality? (for music, almost exclusively). Which will be the best system down the line (thinking about upgrades)? I guess I don't want any more suggestions - just need to make a choice over the above three setups. Thanks!

Sheldon-m

Stunt Coordinator
ANDREW I WOULD GO WITH THE ONKYO 501 OR 502 AND FLAUNCE SET
http://www.fluance.com/fluan5speaks.html this COMPANY HAVE PUT TOGETHER AVERY GOOD PACKAGE(259.99). THESE SPEAKERS ARE MADE VERY SOLID AND SOUND GREAT. I HAVE A 6.1 SETUP AND A ONKYO 601. THESE CAN HANDLE THERE OWN. I WOULD GO WITH THESE OVER THE JBL'S. I HAVE HEARD THE JBL'S AND I THINK THE FLAUNCE PACKAGE IS WAY BETTER. THEY EVEN HAVE 200 $ PACKAGE. CHECK THEM. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean_S

Second Unit
Option 3. That option give you the best sound and is the best starting point for you to grow with. I'm picky about sound and none of the other options you mentioned will be great for 2-ch music listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks