What's new

Cheap bedroom speakers (1 Viewer)

AllanRW

Second Unit
Ok the photo shows what doing the roundover only on the cabinets in the photo has in the dust collector.
I happen to have 2 4" ports into the router table .1 on the top and the other under directly at the router.
Notice all the dust around the and on the table top.
Not a high dollar machine just $299.99 CND for a 2hp with a 64" 1micron bag on it.
But with out it that MDF dust is just nuts.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my latest info on these bedroom speakers.

I have the cabinets mostly done (need another coat of paint...) but I couldn't wait and tried out a pair last night. I'm very impressed. I threw in Orchestral Tubular Bells and listened for a while without the sub and they sounded pretty good. You could tell the low end was lacking, but they're only 3" drivers. I didn't listen to them at any type of loud volume, but probably louder than they will normally be used in the bedroom. After I switched on the sub, the low end hole was gone and it wonderful. My wife seemed pleased with them also! I really expected her to ask why she had to look at the ugly speaker part, but she didn't mind them. I'll probably still cover them with some grill cloth to hide them a little more, but I think they look pretty good without it. I highly recommend these to anyone who is thinking about doing some small speakers.

I have some pictures of the speakers at:
Bedroom speakers

I also put up my equipment cabinet page at:
Equipment Cabinet

Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know how they are when I finally get them into my bedroom.

Jason Au

Grip
Dennis, I've been looking for speaker projects on here, as I'm contemplating my own, and I have to say, nice work! I'll probably ask you questions about the design if you don't mind.

Jason

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I'm glad that worked out so well for you Dennis. Nice work. I thought I'd make a suggestion for a small sub. My ELF1.5 are being helped by an Adire AV8. Very nice smaller driver that matches well with the Tangbands and can be powered with the little 25 watt plate amp available from Apex Jr.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Jason, ask away. I'm pretty happy with these. They do need a sub, but once I get that, they will be excellent. I finally put them in the bedroom last night. The surrounds are mounted on brackets on the ceiling. I'm going to mount the L, R, and Center on the ceiling also aimed to the listening (and sleeping) area. I need to get some more brackets first. Right now, they are on the sides and top of the TV. Took the new receiver out of the box and played a little last night. My wife was a little surprised when she got home. For some reason she has been under the impression that I was only putting 2 in there. Good thing they're fairly small.

Tim, I have thought about the AV8 and I also read about a new Dayton 8" that is supposed to be coming out. I was going to wait to see how that one stacked up against the AV8 before I made any decisions.

Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions and advice. I'll post a couple pictures when I mount the final 3. Running wire in the little crawl space above my bedfoom is no fun. I'm thankful for fishtape and a 12 year old son....

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I finally finished them and mounted them all a week ago. I'm very happy with them. Thanks to everyone, even 'Frank' ;). Here's some pictures of the build and final mounting spots.

Thanks again...

Click Here:
Bedroom Speakers

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Good job, Dennis! Doesn't it feel great to have labored at something that will bring pleasure for a long time to come and at such a low cost?

-Frank, the alter ego

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks