What's new

What TVs do not give a display warning for when you turn speakers off? (1 Viewer)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
I'm trying to narrow down my choices for a "bedroom TV".
So far, LG is the only brand I can confirm that: (1) you can turn the internal speakers off and (2) adjust the volume with the speakers off does not display an on-screen warning that the speakers are disabled like some other TVs do. I don't know if all LG TVs are like this, just the two 32" display models at Bestbuy that I tested.
You don't have to read all below, the main question is the title: What TVs do not give an on-screen display warning for when you adjust the volume with the TV's speakers turned off, because I will be using a soundbar.
I'm looking for 24/26" - 32" range nothing smaller or bigger. I'm thinking a 32" may look best with a soundbar, because I will mount the soundbar to the TV's wall mount feature.
Since small TVs have terrible speakers and I will be using a soundbar, I noticed not all TVs give the option to turn off their speakers. This is usually confirmed testing in store (Bestbuy) or reading the manual online. I'm actually not sure, but if one where to connect to the TV's digital output (if supplied) would this disable the TVs speakers? I don't want the soundbar and TV to play audio at the same time.
I also notice a TV at Bestbuy (can't remember which brand/model) that when you turn the speakers off (menu setting) and adjust the volume it gives an onscreen warning telling you the speakers are off/muted. One of the cheap soundbars I'm looking at does not come with a remote, but can be programmed by the TV's remote. The reason I bring this up is because every time one adjust the soundbars volume the display warning will come up. Otherwise, regardless if the soundbar I choose comes with a remote or not I DO NOT want an on screen warning popping up every time I adjust the volume with the TV's remote.
I was unable to test some of the TVs at Bestbuy because it looks like the LED TVs do not have physical buttons on the unit itself, and Bestbuy does not have the remotes attached to their display TVs. One TV brand (can't remember) has menu buttons, but can only navigate the menu with the remote control.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Complete non-issue...
I've been "dealing with this problem" for 4 years on a 42" plasma in the bedroom.
If that is your main criteria your a TV...that limits, severely, your choices. At least you are looking for a TV with a digital output.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I would have thought that a digital output or headphone output would have trumped all. If a TV doesn't have either one, it isn't going to have an "invisible" volume bar.
But an HDMI laptop will set you back $400, at least. It doesn't seem like you need one with a 5.1 sound card.
The TV 26" with headphone jack...that is going to be hard to find. Digital audio output itself is disappearing.
But, what is your "I don't want to spend any money" budget?

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Budget? You do not need to know my budget. I'm just trying to narrow down my choices in TV brands/models. This isn't about amplifying headphones, or surround sound.
Back on topic... I don't want a onscreen "popup" and audible warning every time I adjust the volume (the particular TV I looked at gave an audible warning and 5ish second onscreen popup notifying me that the speakers where off/muted).
So far I have LG on my shopping list.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm not 100% sure what you're going for, but I have a Samsung, 4050 I think (32"), that lets you turn off the TV speakers. But I'm suing a receiver with this TV, so I don't also route the volume to a sound bar.
I have a Vizio that, while it doesn't turn off the TV speakers, allows a digital optical connection to a sound bar. When I adjust the volume on the sound bar, the TV volume doesn't change. (On the Vizio, if I accidentally use the TV volume, the TV bar does show up, but it doesn't have any effect. But again, if correctly use the soundbar volume, no on-screen indicator.)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Al.Anderson said:
I'm not 100% sure what you're going for...
Neither am I... just pre-sorting my options.
I'm thinking of getting a 32" LCD or LED TV for the bedroom, but generally the built in speakers are terrible, so I may add a relatively inexpensive self-powered soundbar. I know soundbars probably aren't the most highly recommended, especially on a HT forum, but keep in mind.. just a simple bedroom setup. Just looking for a significant improvement over built-in speakers, especially low-level dialog. I don't want to add a receiver, speakers - neither self powered. I have access to a CNC machine, so I plan on making an adapter that will mount the soundbar to the TVs wall mounting features, so essentially the sound bar will 'float' above the TV for a clean bedroom setup. You can already buy such adapters online, but they want $50 and I will save some money making my own and have fun watching a robot.
I'm just not sure how volume manipulation will work, and your reply brings up more questions I'm too scared and frustrated to ask here.
Al.Anderson said:
...but I have a Samsung, 4050 I think (32"), that lets you turn off the TV speakers. But I'm suing a receiver with this TV, so I don't also route the volume to a sound bar.
I have a Vizio that, while it doesn't turn off the TV speakers, allows a digital optical connection to a sound bar. When I adjust the volume on the sound bar, the TV volume doesn't change. (On the Vizio, if I accidentally use the TV volume, the TV bar does show up, but it doesn't have any effect. But again, if correctly use the soundbar volume, no on-screen indicator.)
This reminds me of another question I forgot to ask. I'm not 100% familiar with HDMI and Optical Digital connections, but assuming if one uses a TV with an optical output and a soundbar with an optical input, I was assuming the volume could be controlled by the TV monitor's internal sound card. However, this contradicts your experience.
Regardless, I'm not fully comfortable using optical connections since they seem to have such a high failure rate / incompatibility issues.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Where did you read this?
"Regardless, I'm not fully comfortable using optical connections since they seem to have such a high failure rate / incompatibility issues."
Toslink "spec" was ironed out back in the early 80s. It has worked flawlessly for three decades.
Soundbars "volume control" comes in two flavors...
Our bedroom TV that uses a soundbar has a Boston Acoustics TVee "something"(I forget the model number). It "learns" the remote command from the TV itself. Which means you fire the remote code (up, down and mute) and "both" the TV and soundbar respond. The TV "does nothing" cause the speakers are off...except tell you...the speakers are off.
There are other soundbars that have their own remote codes. Those tend to be a pain in the butt....unless you buy an aftermarket remote.
But, since not every manufacturer performs remote functions the same...sometimes you have to deal with an "odd after effect"(namely the "speakers off" warning), but you put up with it because the soundbar sounds good(which is the whole point of buying the soundbar)...
Here is the "new version" of the Boston Acoustics soundbar...that sounds really good....but you won't want it cause the TV you put it with(except for this LG) will keep showing you the speakers are off...even though, for its price...it is the best sounding soundbar within $200...
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-TVee-Model-25/dp/B004V1DAC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348288272&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+acoustics+tv

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll even help you out even more.
Why are you even buying a TV?
You aren't going to listen to it, so why does it need speakers?
You aren't using OTA, so why does it need a tuner?
http://www.amazon.com/Hannspree-HL269DPB-26-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B007ZS3O62/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348288538&sr=1-2&keywords=26%22+monitor (this actually does have speakers, give me time...I'll find one sans speakers)

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
I'm using OTA
Better yet, this doesn't have speakers!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-HC3800-1080p-Theater-Projector/dp/B002PIPPUK/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, you didn't mention OTA in the other thread...nor in this one...
But...
Small "blurb" about toslink/optical/SPDIF(all the same thing)...
You have to use it, cause if you do end up buying a TV and hooking the laptop to it via HDMI...that is the only way to connect a soundbar. Analog has disappeared. So these worries about "failure/incompatibility" are out there(they really aren't. Where did you hear this anyway???)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah, I forgot this one...but...it isn't a soundbar...
But it does eliminate this "problem with optical"(???)
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HTX-22HDX-Ultra-Compact-Theater-System/dp/B003BEDQRQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1348289513&sr=8-10&keywords=onkyo+speakers

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Lone Fox /t/323931/what-tvs-do-not-give-a-display-warning-for-when-you-turn-speakers-off#post_3978428
Budget? You do not need to know my budget. I'm just trying to narrow down my choices in TV brands/models. This isn't about amplifying headphones, or surround sound.
Just relax. Members like Sam are here answering "what should I buy" questions all the time. For better or worse they have learned that it saves everyone a whole lot of time if they know how much money you are targeting to spend, so they can make suggestions that would work for you instead of taking the time to find things that meet your needs based on your initial description only to find that they aren't in the range you were hoping to spend. So while he doesn't "need" to know your budget it certainly helps him help you.

Lone Fox

Auditioning
Real Name
Cory
Adam Gregorich said:
Just relax.  Members like Sam are here answering "what should I buy" questions all the time.  For better or worse they have learned that it saves everyone a whole lot of time if they know how much money you are targeting to spend, so they can make suggestions that would work for you  instead of taking the time to find things that meet your needs based on your initial description only to find that they aren't in the range you were hoping to spend.  So while he doesn't "need" to know your budget it certainly helps him help you.
This isn't a "what should I buy" question

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
1-the digital optical out volume level is constant on all sets, doesn't change volume with the set's remote, doesn't disable the set's speakers as is usually the case when plugging headphones into a headphone jack.
2-Digital optical connections are not trouble prone.
3-That warning when you hit the volume control with the speakers disabled is to keep people from calling for service after their kids have messed with the settings. It's only on for few seconds. This forum is made up of folks whose primary interest is picture quality, not obscure features like this and they understandably are of the opinion that this is not the best criteria for choosing a set.
4-You can open up your choice of tv by finding a soundbar with it's own dedicated remote.
5-Since very few here are concerned with your problem you may have to do your own research. go to a store where the remotes are accessible and try for yourself. BB uisually doesn't have the remotes out, most Sears stores do.
6-Forum members are not paid consultants, they don't owe you anything and your combative attitude is not going to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks