What's new

Changing License Numbers on XP (1 Viewer)

Chad Seymour

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know of an easy way to change the license number on an installation of XP Pro? My PC has XP Pro installed on it, and runs like a champ. However, it was on there when I got it, or something like that :wink: Now I have purchased my own copy and would like to use it to be legit. Anyway besides reformatting?

Chad

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
since u have a ligit copy.. back up your files, reformat re-install with the new version.

Though if MS came knocking on your door and you showed them proof of a ligit copy Im sure they would forgive you ;)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Technically, I don't know how you do it, but legally, everything you described is TOTALLY legit. With XP (or for that matter, any MS OS), if the version is bundled with the system, it GOES with the machine, if you physically owned the machine, you are the legal owner, NOT the person that holds the recovery CD. For a non bundled XP, if there is a conflict (meaning somehow MS discovers the copy is on 2 different system), the holder of the software has to PROVE to MS that s/he did not sell the XP along with the machine it was originally installed on. Remember, the whole idea of XP activition is to make the software "attach" to hardware, whenever there is a problem, the bais always goes to the hardware the XP was originally activated on. For that matter, if somebody installed a standalone retail XP on a machine and sold the machine without wiping the software, the SELLER is liable, as s/he has violated the license agreement of NOT redistributing the software. One can see on EBay that some resellers are starting to use statements like "The OS on this machine is ONLY for verification purpose, so the user can determine the functional status of the system, the user MUST provide their own legal license/copy.." to cover their behind.
If you really want to have your own XP on the system, which I think is a good idea, because sometimes you need to pop the CD in for updates, a good resource would be the MS Forums, you can go to MS XP support and there's link over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks