What's new

Chandos, Classical Label, Joins Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chandos, one of the world's most respected classical labels, announced in an editorial on it website that it has chosen Super Audio over DVDA for its first high resolution releases, continuing a trend for high quality labels getting on board SACD.
The first release will consist of some stereo releases and some 5-channel 'surround sound' releases. Chandos is releasing SACD because the industry seems to feel that it is the purest audio option available as the DVD has become more widely accepted as a video format. The use of the 120mm silver disc format that is familiar, both visually and operationally, is important for public acceptability.
Most major and independent record companies are going down this route, and we do also know that many of the so-called 'golden ears' in the music industry are behind SACD rather than DVD-A, although both are very high quality systems.
For you fans of Vaughan Williams as well as much British originated classical pieces, this is very good news.
:)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
I'm pleased that Chandos is releasing some titles in a high-res format. Given that their entire library is PCM based, the benefits won't be tremendous for going to SACD.

I own about a half dozen of their titles, and I've been uniformly pleased with the sonics, although the intonation of the clarinets does drive me batty on one particular track. I have no doubt that there's another take, that isn't nearly as good performance wise without the intonation issue.

Regards,

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
As a recording technology, I think it dates back to about late 1997 or 1998 -- so it has been around for longer than you would think.

Regards,

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Doesn't that apply to most libraries, though? DSD is only a few years old, no?
Good observation Mike. SACDs have just been available for around 3 years, and pure DSD recording chains are very recent.
Of course, any older libraries are going to be PCM. Same reason that Chesky did PCM to DSD transfers.
Now here's the good news:
1. Chandos has made a commitment and will likely start recording in DSD so we can extract the most of the format.
2. PCM to DSD are still light years ahead of redbook in terms of sonics.
3. Chandos may have made analog master tapes which can be converted straight to DSD by current technology.
4. One more very well regarded label is on board. This certainly outweighs the number of independents joining DVD Audio of late. Naxos, Dorian, the list goes on and on. The momentum is clearly on Super Audio's side.
5. Chandos Vaughan Williams has been universally acclaimed and was Grammaphone's Record of the Year if I'm not mistaken.
:)

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
This is great news. I love brass band music and Chandos is one of the best labels for BB music.

Lee,
I will have to check out the Vaughan Williams you mention, I've been looking for a good disc. Do you know the disc number?

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Considering that British music makes up a large part of my listening, and Chandos makes up a large part of my CD collection, this is extremely good news, as I believe there were rumors a year or so back that Chandos was going to join DVD-A.

I believe that for all intents and purposes DVD-A is dead, although I'm not sure I can honestly say that SACD is totally alive.

And DSD'd PCM can sound pretty damned good!

NP: Alan Silvestri's Romancing the Stone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks