What's new

Ceton Introduces 6-Tuner PCIe & Ethernet Editions (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ah, I see. It's not really literally the color issue, it's the error in the Nvidia driver that causes it, the colorscape is just part of the piece to get it to transmit correctly.

As much as I respect Nvidia for games, their HTPC efforts have always been (IMHO) complete horror shows. But understandable.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
White flashes were due to 1/2 me being a total dumbass and 1/2 half due to Dell. Trusted that when I used the dell tool to update my drivers that it actually updated drivers, it didn't. I updated to latest Nvidia WHQL drivers and flashes are gone. Sorry for getting folks wrapped around axel on a dumb issue! Thanks for the help Matt!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So far it's been great. Have it recording a few series and when my additional switches get here today I will get the Xboxes set up as Extenders to see what it looks like with 3-4 tuners in motion!

This experience has me convinced tho, the future is having Cable Cards in smarter devices themselves. Put a cable card in the Xbox Durango or Apple TV and I'd be very very happy. Media Center is clunky!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It takes 14 button presses to do anything that's not obvious with a keyboard. It would probably be easier to use with a remote but I don't have one.

It's very microsoft-y. Even at its best the Xbox interface is still wonky.

Yes, Fios and Comcast DVRs are worse.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
It takes 14 button presses to do anything that's not obvious with a keyboard. It would probably be easier to use with a remote but I don't have one.

It's very microsoft-y. Even at its best the Xbox interface is still wonky.

Yes, Fios and Comcast DVRs are worse.
Fourteen button presses? Which remote do you have? The default remote has a single button, press it: live TV
A single button that goes straight to all your recorded.
A single button that goes straight to the guide

?
I'm not sure where we end up with all the button presses, it rarely takes me more than two, not counting dialing in the channel #

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
I'm talking about using mouse and keyboard...

Oh, OK. :)

MCE is clearly a 10' interface, and it is definitely one best run by their IR remote.. I can't imagine using it another way I suppose... still, if you want a shortcut, move your mouse to the bottom right of your screen, it will pop up the instant icons, which take you: straight to the guide if you need it from anywhere in the interface. Also, if you haven't just for pretty sake, grab "MyChannelLogos" Great add-in

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Any idea how to get the shitty shitty shitty Media center to stop fing up loading the guide again? Online is says you need to re install tuners and or re install media center. This is such bullshit that I would nuke the pile of shit rather than doing that.

All channels say no data. Forcing guide update fails ever time, both using the system tray and the tasks menu

Dude if you can't run this thing without it getting itself so confused that it refuses to do something as simple as load guide data within 3 weeks of use I don't even.....

Sam

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam Posten said:
Any idea how to get the shitty shitty shitty Media center to stop fing up loading the guide again? Online is says you need to re install tuners and or re install media center. This is such bullshit that I would nuke the pile of shit rather than doing that.

All channels say no data. Forcing guide update fails ever time, both using the system tray and the tasks menu

Dude if you can't run this thing without it getting itself so confused that it refuses to do something as simple as load guide data within 3 weeks of use I don't even.....

Sam
Sam, in 6 years of using media center, I've never run into it. Ok, so taking out the profantiy, what is happening here? I've never seen a reason to ever install media center, no matter what I've ever done. PM me, I could check.

Any chance you are running any firewalls that are blocking the transfer? Resetting the guide doesn't take all of that; everyone I've ever set gets the full guide in a few minutes...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone have an issue with the Ceton being plugged in causing a Verizon cable box to hard reboot whenever watching VOD? Just had a service tech out here and he heard of this problem and sure enough unplugging my Infinitv6 stopped the reboots, but obviously I don't want to have to unplug whenever I want to use the FIOS VOD.

He thought it might have something to do with a switch being turned on for Network Bridging but as far as I can tell that issue is only for the 4, and not the 6, which doesnt allow such bridging anyway.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Ceton issued out a beta firmware update a few weeks ago, and this and a few other things were in it; if you haven't done it.. update.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't see the issue noted here, and this hasn't been updated since March:
http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/beta-driver-update/

Is there a newer version?
Changelog:
[*]13.06.03.1088: Updated Diagnostics for Ceton InfiniTV 6 Ethernet
[*]13.3.22.1342: USB stability improvements. Deprecated diagnostic Media Center addin.
[*]12.12.26.1250: Diagnostics improvements
[*]2012.10.23.0732: Fixed issue where sometimes installation fails. Fixed installation of Tuning Adapter services. Enabled verbose logging on install to help determine installation issues.
[*]2012.08.28.0019: New diagnostic tool with access to new (currently Beta) Firmware updates. Also stability improvements for Tuning Adapter driver.
[*]1.5.4295.11: Integrated Network Tuners into installer. Added Media Center app for Diagnostics.
[*]1.3.0.2: Fixes for using multiple InfiniTVs with multiple Tuning Adapters
[*]1.3.0.0: Allow for silent installation with "/S" flag
[*]1.2.0.9: Fix crash in diagnostic tool. Improve discovery time
[*]1.2.0.5: Resign drivers with non-expired cert. Fixes for bluescreens in tight memory situations. Fixes for handling multiple InfiniTV's with Tuning Adapters.
[*]
[/list]

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
[font="arial;font-size:small"]Firmware changed nothing, it still reboots the boxes whenever the CETON is connected and works fine for VOD whenever it is disconnected. I can't explain it but its true. I can take a video of it if you guys want to see.[/font]

I have seen individuals do that, but you usually don't have to. Your wire bank will do that for you. Do you use an SDV box from your wire cards company? If yes, you really need to keep in mind to NEVER use the "TV Out" on the SDV box, use a splitter BEFORE the SDV box, with one wire going to it, and one to your wire cards adapter.The only factor that should link the two is the USB.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No, all HD. It was an issue with Verizon's box, they tracked my issue closely and put out an updated firmware that automatically downloaded for everyone and once the box reset it never happened again.Still not satisfied with the video quality (tons of large macroblocks constantly, never 'real' fine detail), but it is what it is and I doubt it will ever change.I'd rather have 2 tuners and fine detail, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks