What's new

Centering, Overscan using Video Essentials (1 Viewer)

WarnerL

Agent
I have a Toshiba 4:3 non-HDTV RPTV. I have read that the overscan test pattern in Video Essentials is actually not centered properly and everyone seems to recommend that one does not use it. Since I already have Video Essentials I do not wish to purchase AVIA also(it costs over $75 here in Canada). First off, which pattern can I use on Video Essentials to center the picture? Is the overscan pattern on VE really that noticably far off? Would I be able to set the overscan using VE say to 5% and then use another pattern on VE to center the actual image? I am thinking that even if the overscan pattern on VE is not centered, the overall dimensions would be correct for a particular overscan reading all the way around, and then I could move the image as whole until it was centered using another pattern on VE. Please advise me on the test patterns in VE only that I could use. Please do not mention AVIA patterns as I do not have that DVD.
One other thing. I have read other posts where people have different amounts of overscan say with the horizontal as compared with the veritcal. Should it not be exactly the same all the way around? If it is not the same, isn't the geometry actually not correct (not a true 4:3 image)? Since everyone here is looking for exactness, why would you distort the image like that.
Warner

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
You can use the 4:3 and 16:9 circle test patterns in the THX Optimode, which is availible in all recent THX certified DVDs, like the Toy Story films or Star Wars Episode I. I haven't compared it with the Avia pattern, but
the overscan setting is different from the VE pattern.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The percentage of overscan should be equal both vertically and horizontally. However, the physical distance which makes the same percentage differs in the two directions because the width is larger than the height. That may be source of the conflicting equal vs unequal overscans you have been reading.
Yes, the VE pattern is off center. The THX optimode pattern may work. I've not checked them for centering. Probably should specify which disc the Optimode patterns are being used. They aren't all identical.

WarnerL

Agent
Again though,
Which patterns in Video Essentials can one use for centering and can one still use the off-center VE overscan pattern then use another pattern in Video Essentials to do the centering as I asked in my first post.
Please restrict answers to Video Essential test patterns only.
Warner

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
You should definitely stay far away from VE's overscan pattern. I have a 16x9 set and the anamorphic w/circles pattern is correct (title 20, chapter 5). I think you could use this pattern for overscan (not geometry of course) on your 4x3 set. I make this assumption based on the AVIA's 4x3 overscan pattern works as intended on my 16x9 set (ie. equal overscan on all sides = correct geometry).
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks