Center speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Scotty_McW, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

I know the center speaker needs to be placed above or below the tv. However, my center peaker weighs about 15 pounds. If I set this on top of my tv (Samsung 47" widescreen) is there any possibility of the weight of the speaker causing damage to the frame? I mean, could it cause the middle of the set to bow in? If this is possible, any one have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Shane Acker

Shane Acker Agent

I don't think you'll have any problems with your center causing damage to your tv. I myself have my 20 pound Energy c-2 center sitting on top of my 55" Toshiba (along with my wifes knick knacks) and I haven't seen any damage to it yet.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

It is often advisable to give the center speaker a downward tilt so it points at your head instead of straight out. Rubber door wedges are a great item to make feet, give some tilt, and distribute the weight away from dead-center.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Your fine Scotty. I must have 75 lbs on top of my 50" TV. Not ideal but WAF (not that I always listen) comes into play here. Bobs suggestion will really help also.

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

If your TV is like my Toshiba 50H81, then just make sure that you don't put weight on your TV Front Screen Bezel Frame.

I had a couple of small rubber bumper squares (w/larger ones on the back to create a slight tilt angle) and in time the Bezel silver-grey Frame started to sag a bit! Also, after a robust blockbuster DD/DTS-6.1 DVD @ or near REF Level, my JBL S-Center speaker would slide forward about 1/4" or so.

So, to stablize my slightly angled JBL S-Center, I bought the Sanus TV Top Shelf ...

[​IMG]

... and placed the rubber bumper squares so they were off the TV Screen Bezel silver-grey frame and on the solid wood frame.

Phil

6. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Wow - that Sanus tv top looks nice...

7. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Thanks for all the info! I'm currently moving from a condo to a home, so for now all my equipment (except the tv & dvd player) are boxed up. It's been over 2 years now since I have been able to have everything set up and I can't wait until August to set it back up! Thanks again!