1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby Atmos install Question

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Diverdan, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Diverdan

Diverdan Auditioning

John Dantin
    Greetings all,
    I am looking to upgrade my 5.1 system to 5.1.2 with Dolby Atmos. I currently have a Denon AVR-X2400H driving a Bose Acoustimass 10 5.1 set of speakers.
    My Question:
    All of the speakers are mounted high on the wall (about 6.5 feet up) except the center channel which is lower near the TV. I am trying to figure out the best placement of the 2 Atmos speaker to get the best effect. At this time, I am limited by not being able to do a ceiling mount for them or moving the existing speakers.

What I’ve come up with so far is either just getting some upward firing add-on speaker or possibly get a new pair of front channel speakers placed on stands and have the two Bose (high mounted) speakers that were formerly the front channel R&L be the Atmos speakers. Which would likely be the better option or is there another one I haven’t thought of yet?

Thanks!

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Welcome to HTF John. My opinion: You probably aren't going to get much bang for your buck here. Atmos bounce is a subtle effect to begin with. If your mains are already mounted as heights it's all gonna mix in together. Can you lower your mains?

3. Message #3 of 6 Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I agree. The height of your current front speakers is too high, but not high enough for Atmos, so you need to consider some more significant changes, or just leave it how it is. Your L&R speakers shouldn't be so much higher than the center. How high is the ceiling?

Sam Posten likes this.
  4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Gonna post some suggestions from Dolby and just want to tell you in the latest Widescreen Review they have been slamming the studios for horrible Atmos mastering. I only have 4 movies in Atmos and very not impressed so far. Tarzan gave me the most enveloping experience.
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
    Hope this helps but like John said lower the front speakers and try to get the same height for front L R and rear L R and center channel, preferably ear level when seated. Being on the same plane or level helps fool the brain and helps give an illusion of continuity. Helps to blur the source.

5. Diverdan

Diverdan Auditioning

John Dantin
    Thanks, all! The takeaway I’m getting is it’s not worth adding the speakers unless there’s a redesign of the system, something that would well down the list on house projects at the moment.

I was looking for an inexpensive way to enhance the system, since my head unit supports 5.1.2.

Sam Posten likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Can you get new speakers for mains, and switch wires, making in ceiling speakers Atmos and new speakers wall mount or floor standers???