What's new

Center speaker for about $150 - need opinions please (1 Viewer)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Which speaker is a good quality center for around $150. There are Klipsch KSC-C1's on ebay for around $140 shipped, or is the JBL S Center II a good speaker?
Klipsch

JBL

I'm just starting to get into this stuff on a serious level, so be gentle :b

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Both of those would be fine, but would also sound different when compared side by side. I had Klipsch for a week or 2 and wound up not liking them at all. Never heard the JBL's.

What do you have at left and right? Keeping them?

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
What are you using for your mains? The reason I ask is you should try to keep at least the front speakers timber matched.

Scott Miller

Agent
I would say the JBL is amazing. Got mine from etronics.com and was was overwhelmed by the difference it made. Unfortunately I'm still using some old JVC towers for my mains, saving up for some JBL's.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
I was asking the same thing a couple of years ago myself.Unfortunately I didn't know of this site then:thumbsdown: I have a few lower priced centers floating around the house:D
I finally figured out that with so much of the sound coming from the center in 5.1 sources that I needed to spend a lot more than I expected on a center channel.I ended up with a M&K THX 750.I KNOW,it doesn't match my fronts ,Acoustic Research TSW 510's.,But It is VERY close,and the sound quality of the M&K more than makes up for any mismatch problems.Like a lot of us,I cant afford to buy a complete setup at once,so I ve been buying and learning for a few years.This stuff is ALL soooo subjective,what one guy loves ,another ones throws out into the street.I f you choose to stay with the $150 range,I would make sure the store allows returns "just cause you didn't like it"and doesn't make a big ordeal out of it.Take a few home till you find one you like.
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks