What's new

Center Channel Question (1 Viewer)

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a new center speaker (an Axiom VP150). When sitting in the listening position, the speaker is pointed slightly over my head (about a foot). I was thinking of getting two different size rubber feet from the hardware store and putting the larger ones in the back so the center would be pointed lower. The center currently has 4 small rubber stick on feet.

I have two questions: 1) Do you think this would improve the sound, 2) would there be any negative side effects?

Thanks for the help,
John Flegert

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The sound of a speaker changes the more you go off axis. The optimum setup would be to have the speaker aimed at your ear level while seated so yes, the sound will only improve by doing this and there are no negative side effects. You can always velcro the rubber feet to the bottom of the speaker if screwing them in is not "agreeable" to you.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use two rubber door stops to accomplish the same thing. They are placed under the back of the center speaker to angle it downward towards ear level. The advantage to using door stops is that they are wedge shaped, so it is easy to adjust the center speaker's angle in order to get it pointing directly at ear level.

At less than $2, this is probably the best "bang for the buck" improvement I have made in my setup.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses.

I'm curious, why is it better to have the center pointing straight at you, but have the mains toed in?

Thanks,
John Flegert

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Having the mains toed in is to help reduce early side-reflections of the sound.

Music systems typically have a lot of angle to try and create a phantom center image. But an HT system has that center speaker so I'd guess the ammount of toe-in is much less for HT.

Try This: get an inexpensive laser-pointer and use it to see where your L/R speakers are pointing. Play with these 3 typical ammounts:

A) So the sound from the two speakers focus about 1-2 feet in front of the primary listening position.

B) So the sound focuses exactly on the listening position.

C) So the sound focuses 1-2 feet behind the listening position.

You should be careful to check the volume levels with each adjustment as a few degrees of angle can have a large effect. Be sure to use a SPL meter.

Getting the center up off the TV can only help the sound. Some other suggestions would be to pull the center speaker forward so it over-hangs the TV by about 1/4 inch. This keeps the large, flat TV screen from coupling to the sound.

Rubber door wedges, pink-rubber erasers and even spare paperback books are all common ways to get the center speaker up off the TV.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks