Celeron Processors

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Keith_R, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Hey all, I may be forced in to buying a new computer soon. Unfortunately I only have the money to buy from a place like Circuit City or Bestbuy and get a entry level machine ($400-$600) with a intel celeron chip. I mainly use my computer for internet, email and occasionally typing a report or two. I'm pretty sure a Celeron (2.2GHZ) can handle this but I'm kind of concerned about the Celeron chip, I currently have an older one in my computer and was hoping to jump to a Pentium 4 if I have to buy a new computer, but as of this weekend I'll only have enough money for an entry level machine. What are the pros and cons of Celerons? will they handle my needs okay? Thanks.

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Keith, I'm not an expert on this, but I will offer what i think is correct as far as Celerons (and others can correct me if I'm wrong). I believe Celerons are meant for "light" work. They aren't meant to handle the demands of MultiMedia. I know for a fact that you can not add a DVD drive to a Celeron processor. Also, you won't be able to do any 3D games (that well at least) or any type of video or high end graphics work.

As far as MP3's, I'm not really sure if a Celeron will work well, or even digital photos for that matter.

Again, I'm no expert, but what you've mentioned (email, internet, Writing papers, etc.) should be fine, just remember that you won't be able to upgrade easily in the future.

Hopefully someone can ellaborate or confirm my reply.

3. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Heh. Actually, allow me to correct you both. The Celeron is simply a slightly slower version of the Pentium. Therefore, if you compare a Pentium 4 with a Celeron, the celeron will be a little slower and it will cost a little less.

BUT IT DOES THE SAME THING!!! Only a little slower. You can play MP3s fine, you can play DVDs fine. Games? Sure! It's all good. The main thing with the celeron (if I remember correctly) is that it just has a little less "cache" which is expensive memory added to a CPU to improve performance. That's about the only difference. Thing is, celerons aren't much cheaper than Pentium 4's, so people usually just buy the Pentium. If you want a budget CPU, I highly recommend something from AMD. WAY better value and they perform about the same (in my opinion).

But don't worry about a celeron limiting your computer. Unless you run lots of benchmarks and do serious number crunching, you probably won't even notice a difference.

Jonny K. [​IMG]

4. MarkHastings

5. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

My daughter right now has a Celeron 400 with anATI Radeon PCI and watches DVD just fine.

6. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Yeah, marketing can confuse things too. Same way they'll market a Corvette as a high performance race car, and market a mini van as a family vehicle for driving the kids to soccer. That doesn't mean you can't drive to soccer in a Corvette, or take a mini van on the race track!

Jonny K. [​IMG]

7. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Celerons are essentially 'cut down' versions of their bigger Pentium brothers. They have smaller cache sizes and don't have the same amount of muscle for the same given mhz rating. I think the bus speeds are lower too. They're perfectly fine for general desktop usage (spreadsheets, word processing, browsing etc etc) but if you want to do anything requiring a lot of uumph (say video processsing or anything with a high CPU intensity) then you're better off with a Pentium. The Celerys (as they're known!) will do the high intensity tasks, just slower.

8. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'm still getting by on my 1GHz Celeron-2 that's 2-3 years old on a motherboard of the same vintage. Since I'm not a gamer, the CPU/MB combo works fine for me. If I did want to get into more CPU-intensive processing (like converting video feeds to AVI/MPEG-1/MPEG-2 files), I'll be looking to upgrade MB/CPU/RAM one of these days. I'll be impressed if I can squeeze 4 years of everyday use out of my present PC system.

10. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

For $400-$600, you don't need to get Celeron, just check out the "deals" section in the forum (I think it's www.goapex.com). That price get you a pretty decent P4 from Dell.

11. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Believe it or not I've found a decent P4 in my price range on Dell's website that I think I'm going to buy. It's the Dell 2350 going at 2.2GHZ. Anyone have experience with this model? thanks.

12. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

If your budget is limited, you should also look at AMD based systems. They often benchmark higher than Pentiums with more processor speed.

13. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

14. MarkHastings

15. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Keith I just spec'd a Dell Dimension 2350 for 549.

P4 2.2Ghz
    256MB DDR SDRAM
    no monitor
    integrated intel graphics
    30GB ultra ata/100 7200 rpm HD
    no floppy
    xp home
    integrate 10/100 ethernet
    56k modem
    48x cdrom
    integrated audio
    speakers
    wordperfect
    4xdvd+rw/+r drive w/cd-rw

As far as intel vs amd. My current pc is an intel processor running off a via chipset. Never going to do anything but intel chipsets from now on. Stability is not what I'd like it to be with chipsets other than intel. But you can't run amd processors on intel chipset motherboards. I'd rather pay more and get stability. I'm looking at building a springdale chipset based pc at the end of the summer.

16. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle

17. John_Berger

18. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The problems I've experienced with AMD-based systems have all being down to memory. Pickiest buggers around.

19. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I have an Asus P3V4X mb now. Supposed to support 4X agp, nope not with nvidia cards (don't know about ati). nvidia says its via's fault. via says its nvidia's fault. I initially had odd problems with playing certain games on it. Most would work, others would fail to load (diablo 2 is one that stands out). The cdrom drive I had didn't work with diablo 2 but a slower one did. Ended up being a problem with the via chipset and the ide drivers. 4 in 1 upgrade fixed that one. USB support is kinda flacky. Doesn't always work and sometime locks up the PC so I just don't use usb devices (win 2k so the os support is there).

All the readmes for games all say "via chipset, make sure you have latest chipset drivers". Solution to all the problems is "upgrade your chipset drivers". Over and over again. Well that should not be the problem if the drivers were written correctly to start with. Maybe they've gotten better since I bought my mb, but I don't want to waste my time to find out.

Yeah its only little problems (agp will never be fixed). But it didn't give me warm fuzzies to want to try a via based mb again. I'll stick with something that I know for a fact works and am willing to may more for it.

It could just be me. For some reason, even though I know what I'm doing, computers just don't get along with me. I tend to use them until they scream to surrender.

20. John_Berger