What's new

CD Changer solutions (1 Viewer)

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I curently own the Sony CX90ES. I am basicly using it as a transport only. I have the CAL Sigma II DAC and Monarcy DIP 24/96. It's almost a waste of this great player to be used as a transport only. Was thinking about selling it to meet me needs, which are:

I want to hold about 400 cd's. I would like to have access to all cd's from two different systems in different locations. Can one 400cd player do that or should I get two 200 changers? Is that what the Sony's SLink is for?

I also plan on getting the Nirvis system to database all cd's and then download them onto my Pronto TSU6000.

I am way confused on how to go about this.

TIA

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, why is it a waste to use the 'CX90ES as a transport? If it sounds better in your system using the analog outputs, then do that. However, with your gear, I'm sure it would sound better as a transport. So, I hardly see it as waste in that mode.

Given the quality of your gear, I personally think you should get a good carousel changer or even better, a single-disc player for use as a transport. You could still use the 'CX90ES via the analog outputs for shuffle play.

If you are going to stay with a megachanger, you will probably be best off sticking with the 'CX90ES. It has often been said that the 'CX90ES is the best megachanger that Sony ever made. So, it could very well be that Sony's current ES 400-disc players are not as good. Of course, you would be looking to use one as a transport, but the 'CX90ES could very well be the better transport. On the other hand, megachangers aren't known as quality transports anyway, so it might not matter one way or the other. I say stick with the 'CX90ES and get a quality single-disc player for use as a transport.

The only way I know of playing a 400-disc megachanger in more than one room is by mating it with a pre-amp or receiver with multi-room capability (multi-room outputs or A/B speaker terminals). These megachangers only have one set of analog outputs and one digital output (optical).

Michael Ipp

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick reply.

You right about the CX90ES probably being the better transport then other Sony Changers. The reason I was looking to switch was twofold, to hold more cd's and better compatability with the Nirvis SLink-e.

I guess I could get another CX90ES an link them together. Then have them run throun my DAC to my reciver. I have the Marantz SR8000 that has multiroom capabilites so I can send the signal to the other room. But guess I would need a IR repeater (i think thats what they are called) in the room that does not have the changers so I can change CD's.

I do have an old Sony single deck, X229ES. I wonder how that would be as a transport?

Now my mind is running rampant. I could just stick with the CX90ES and get a SACD instead. But don't have that much $$ right now (saving for CRT projector). How are the lower end SACD players? I see you have a few SACD players.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, the 'CX90ES was discontinued awhile ago, so if you are looking to get another one, you will more than likely have to settle for a used unit.

I don't know how your 'X229ES would function as a transport, but it might be worth a try.

The Sony SCD-CE775 five-disc SACD/CD changer at $350 is nothing special as a CD player. SACDs sound good on the unit, but I would set my sights higher to the SCD-C222ES, which Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480) sells for around $525. It is a better all-around player. For $800, the 'C555ES is even better. Note, however, that to play SACDs, you have to use the analog outputs. You could use the player as a transports for CDs, though the 'C222ES and 'C555ES sound good with CDs using the analog outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks