Panny ED TH42PD50U etc

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Leverett, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Leverett

Leverett Extra

I am interested in purchasing a Panny PD50... I have read a lot of info here in the forums and decided that's probably what I need. I searched for answers to my queations, yet I guess I didnt really know what to search for. So I decided to post.

I watch a lot of SD broadcasts recorded on a Dish SD PVR and probably won't make the jump to HDTV until everything is HDTV.

I have a small space to use - about 7-8 feet from couch to TV and my home theater gear is pretty old (5.1 Sony with Energy Take 5 speaker set)...

Now to my questions...

1. Is there an good, online retailer that most people use?

2. What would be the best DVD player to use with this set? I'm not sure I understand the whole upconversion thing, yet would upconversion even matter with an EDTV? I have a 5 disc CD changer that just died and I would like to replace it with a new DVD/CD changer that best fits the Panny PD50 if at all possible. Any ideas?

3. I am interested in adding speakers into the ceiling of my condo if possible to save some room from the surrounds and not deal with wires on the floor or walls. I am hoping someone here has used a contractor I can call to do the work. I live in Chicago and am looking for recommendations for HT equipment installers if possible. I would be looking for someone that first could suggest a solution for my space and second suggest hardware that would acoustically match my current system. If this isn't the correct place to inquire about this, I apologize - yet could someone please send me where I need to go?

Thanks in advance for any information.

2. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    You'll likely get a lot more feedback and help over in the Plasma and LCD subforum at avsforum.com, including a Panny plasma FAQ link.

Lots of talk about the Panasonic EDTVs there, both the commercial and consumer models. They're pretty highly regarded.

3. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

PD?

EDTV [​IMG]

Spring for the HD PX series.

DVDs look MUCH BETTER on them. That's right, DVD.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi

you will also get some great answers here, so why go else where?

The Panny is a very nice panel. Try www.tvauthority.com for great pricing, AND a dead pixal policy. Please say you are a HTF member.

There are a lot of DVD players out there...I really like the Denon 2910.

For the speaker install, I suggest you start to ask friends in your location, or call a few local installers that can help you out with speaker selection and installation.

Best wishes

Gregg

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    While I personally would lean towards an HD panel myself because of HD material, including the coming HD disc format(s), I would challenge the notion that DVDs look MUCH BETTER on HD models than ED ones. That does not jibe with actual experience.

In fact, many people have reported that SD material, including DVDs, looks a little better on the Panny EDTV panels than on the HD ones. Which makes some sense because their native resolution matches DVD better. Furthermore, even for HD material many report that they can see absolutely no difference on a 42" panel from a viewing distance beyond 8 or 9 feet or so (obviously varies by individual). So depending on a person's needs and seating location, an EDTV may be the better bargain and may just fit the bill.

No slight at HTF, of which I'm a member for years. So by all means, post and get feedback here, including from respected experts like Gregg. But there are also some very knowledgeable people elsewhere and a lot more folks talking about these panels there than there are here. So, why restrict yourself? Just trying to be helpful.

6. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sorry. But you can almost always pick out the HD set from the ED set on GOOD mastered DVD. Color alone is a huge difference. Little to no "banding artifacts" either, which is a BIG problem on ED sets. 8-9 feet? Recommended viewing distance is 1.5 to 2x viewing distance, which makes it easy to make out the gritty pixel structure of the EDTV.

Now I'm directly comparing the PD to the PX series. Panny's EDTV is very good, as good as some HDs. But their HDs is much much better.

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Well, not everybody will sit within that recommended 1.5-2x viewing distance. Lots of people post that they will be sitting 10 to 12 feet from their 42" plasma. I've read reports from several folks who have compared them A/B side by side and can't see the difference in resolution at that distance.

Color alone is a huge difference? I don't think so, not on comparable Panasonic models anyway.

Check out some of the comments here:

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...esolution.html

It notes that SD material is superior on the EDTV. (I realize that site is probably affiliated with manufacturers and retailers, but I don't think that matters. Points are made in favor of both types.) This also matches what a lot of other people report in threads comparing the HD to ED units.

Now me, I think I'd like the option of sitting about 7 feet away and not seeing the pixel structure, and with HD material becoming more and more prevalent that's what I'd want to go for. But EDTV may be the best choice for some.

I have seen a couple of notes about banding. This is something to consider too.

8. Leverett

Leverett Extra

Well thanks for the input. Looks like I have a bit more research to do.

Will post back when I have more questions. [​IMG]