What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

CBS Syndication Bible Updates 10/7/14 (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
LeoA said:
This complete set for The Phil Silvers Show, licensed out rather than being done in-house, has renewed my hope that some of these things in CBS's large portfolio of classics will be finished eventually.
It took some very determined fans to make it happen. Remember, Phil's show was quite popular across the pond. We actually knew of a British release before an American release. Not to downplay the love for Our Miss Brooks, but does it have the fan base necessary to pull off a DVD release?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It had enough value to justify an expensive remastering project, so I wouldn't rule it out.

The trend now seems to be starting out with a complete series release, so I don't think the fact that they've now remastered all four seasons with no news has to be a bad sign.

I would expect that if an independent picks this up, they will release a complete package.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My doubt about Our Miss Brooks coming to dvd is based on the wording in the CBS Syndication Bible. Every other series that has recently been remastered into HD is said to have "Network 4x3 HD" episodes. But with this series the wording has changed, stating instead that they have "Syndication 4x3 HD" episodes to offer. Maybe it's nothing, but until we get an official announcement for Our Miss Brooks on dvd I'm going to remain skeptical.

Gary "sorry to be pessimistic" O.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary OS said:
My doubt about Our Miss Brooks coming to dvd is based on the wording in the CBS Syndication Bible. Every other series that has recently been remastered into HD is said to have "Network 4x3 HD" episodes. But with this series the wording has changed, stating instead that they have "Syndication 4x3 HD" episodes to offer. Maybe it's nothing, but until we get an official announcement for Our Miss Brooks on dvd I'm going to remain skeptical.

It doesn't look promising, but there info seems a bit "out of whack." It says it isn't available for syndication, but down below it says it is.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Ron1973 said:
It doesn't look promising, but there info seems a bit "out of whack." It says it isn't available for syndication, but down below it says it is.
Hi Ron - there were 3 episodes previously not available for syndication for whatever reason. This show never had tape transfers which is why it was never widely syndicated. Danny has posted that ME-TV bought the series which is why CBS/P is now doing the transfers. As Gary said these are "Syndication 4x3" vs "Network 4x3" which suggests that these will be syndication versions vs full length.

The positive out of all this is that a relatively popular network will air this again and the episodes should look quite nice although they'll likely either be cut or sped up. Time will tell.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve...O said:
Hi Ron - there were 3 episodes previously not available for syndication for whatever reason. This show never had tape transfers which is why it was never widely syndicated. Danny has posted that ME-TV bought the series which is why CBS/P is now doing the transfers. As Gary said these are "Syndication 4x3" vs "Network 4x3" which suggests that these will be syndication versions vs full length.

The positive out of all this is that a relatively popular network will air this again and the episodes should look quite nice although they'll likely either be cut or sped up. Time will tell.
I had saw that, but thanks for the reminder.

I guess the angle I'm coming from is that if they're doing the "heavy lifting" of remastering these for HD, why not go the DVD route? I think we're in agreement that they seem to be "future proofing" their shows by going HD, and DVD releases are simply the icing on the cake. Unless ME-TV has some sort of agreement that they're the exclusive provider for the show, I would think CBS would at least test the DVD waters.

What I don't understand is why there would be "syndication" masters in the first place if they're going HD. Is CBS taking out the time to make both regular and syndication masters? Perhaps I'm dense, but it would seem crazy to take out the time to do both.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:

This show wasn't (to my knowledge) syndicated in the days of heavy editing. My guess is that the difference is related to the opening and closing and deletion of sponsor information (I don't know what the CBS Bible says, but they used the classic syndicated opening and close of I Love Lucy on the DVDs and blu-ray rather than the sponsor promoting original opening and I was fine with that). My guess is that if they have brand new remasters of this show, it might well come out eventually on DVD, but that probably depends on its success on ME-TV. I have heard the radio show, but never saw the TV version.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JoeDoakes said:
This show wasn't (to my knowledge) syndicated in the days of heavy editing. My guess is that the difference is related to the opening and closing and deletion of sponsor information
That, and the missing episodes, sounds like the likely translation. Lucy was a treasure they had to restore to the last bit of grain, but Brooks is more of a niche-archive title, and just for getting on disk.
I have heard the radio show, but never saw the TV version.
There's a bare handful of PD relics on the Tube, and unlike A&A, the radio voices just happened to look plausibly enough like the characters, with no major changes. (Except for Robert Rockwell as an equally clueless Mr. Boynton...Note the joke about Jeff Chandler.):

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconbo
Recent bookmarks