What's new

CBS Press Release: The Beverly Hillbillies Season 4 (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ron1973 said:
I have ALWAYS loved the background music they started with in S3 and then into S4. S3 was the best of the b&w years for me and then S4 was the ultimate.

I will say it started losing steam somewhere in the 6th or 7th season. Okay, the England episodes are funny but not enough to go the course of several weeks solid. That led into the whole Robin Hood adventure in Griffith Park. One funny moment from the Robin Hood episodes was Granny getting caught by the cops. She told them she was going down to the lake to smoke some crawdads but first she needed a little pot!!! Roflmbo!!!!!

The 8th season started out promising. Rob Reiner guest starred as a hippie and Jethro was helping them protest the Commerce Bank. Granny's interactions with Elverna Bradshaw were hilarious as was Ellie Mae entering the bake caking contest in Silver Dollar City. Then Phil Silvers came along and took them to New York and it went downhill. One of the few redeeming things about those episodes was Sammy Davis, Jr. cameoing as a NYC cop.
Granny's interaction with Elverna on the trip back to the Hills at the beginning of season 8 was about the best thing in either season 8 or 9 in my opinion. I am fairly certain Paul Henning wrote that himself.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
rmw650 said:
At least we're discussing it, so you're more than welcome to go to another thread if you're not interested in talking about the show. You have that option, you know.
I think I may have been miss understood. The thread went off into the direction on the last couple of seasons and not Season Four. I love talking and reading about the show but the thread title is Season Four. There are other threads that talk about all the seasons. I see that the the tread has returned to season Four.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
ahollis said:
I think I may have been miss understood. The thread went off into the direction on the last couple of seasons and not Season Four. I love talking and reading about the show but the thread title is Season Four. There are other threads that talk about all the seasons.I see that the the tread has returned to season Four.
Threads go off course all the time. Frankly, I enjoy sharing my memories of my favorite show with others who also enjoy reminiscing regardless of what season it is. Perhaps someone from CBS/Paramount will see what fond memories we have of all the seasons and be persuaded we want it all on DVD! :D

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JoeDoakes said:
Granny's interaction with Elverna on the trip back to the Hills at the beginning of season 8 was about the best thing in either season 8 or 9 in my opinion. I am fairly certain Paul Henning wrote that himself.
Well, they did go back to Petticoat Junction in S8. I'm sure PJ's ratings were falling and perhaps they were trying to boost them. Anyway.....

Jethro was imitating a Air Force general (Soupy Sales had guested not too long before as a retiring Air Force officer and I think that his character influenced Jethro) and somehow managed to get the Air Force to fly him on out to Petticoat Junction.

Steve was working on his crop duster and Jethro wanted to fly. Steve told him the engine was "inoperative" to which Jethro replied "well, let's fly on over there and get that rascal!" When Steve recognized who he was, he asked Jethro if he knew what he could get for impersonating a general. Jethro said everyone asked him that, so it must be quite a lot. Steve told him he could get the Federal Pen for it. Jethro's reply? "Unuh! No sir! Uncle Jed don't want me havin' nothin' sharp!"

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ron1973 said:
Threads go off course all the time. Frankly, I enjoy sharing my memories of my favorite show with others who also enjoy reminiscing regardless of what season it is. Perhaps someone from CBS/Paramount will see what fond memories we have of all the seasons and be persuaded we want it all on DVD! :D
Yep they do. And at times it needs to get back on course. But this thread only has about two more months of life left so it doesn't matter. Up to the release date and then discussion on the transfers for a few weeks after I would rather talk and read about season 4 since that is what coming. Whether we talk about seasons 7 & 8 will not give CBS the idea to release them, only sales of season 4 and if Wal Mart is happy. I really enjoy people's memories of the season 4 episodes.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ahollis said:
Yep they do. And at times it needs to get back on course. But this thread only has about two more months of life left so it doesn't matter. Up to the release date and then discussion on the transfers for a few weeks afterI would rather talk and read about season 4 since that is what coming. Whether we talk about seasons 7 & 8 will not give CBS the idea to release them, only sales of season 4 and if Wal Mart is happy.I really enjoy people's memories of the season 4 episodes.
I enjoy reminiscing about all of the seasons. Naturally, speculation about this is going to be high after 4 1/2 years of being stalled. The big boys sometimes read these threads and I certainly don't believe delving into some of our memories of other seasons is going to hurt one bit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ron1973 said:
I enjoy reminiscing about all of the seasons. Naturally, speculation about this is going to be high after 4 1/2 years of being stalled. The big boys sometimes read these threads and I certainly don't believe delving into some of our memories of other seasons is going to hurt one bit.
Well start another thread about the complete show. That solves all issues just like the Dark Shadows Peyton Place, Voyage To The Bottom Of The sea, Burkes Law, Mama's Family etc. That would really show them interest and it can be kept alive longer as those other threads have been. There have been some negative remarks about the last couple of seasons that certainly will not interest the powers that be. Though sales are the only reason for them to keep releasing seasons.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ahollis said:
Well start another thread about the complete show. That solves all issues just like the Dark Shadows Peyton Place, Voyage To The Bottom Of The sea, Burkes Law, Mama's Family etc.That would really show them interest and it can be kept alive longer as those other threads have been. There have been some negative remarks about the last couple of seasons that certainly will not interest the powers that be. Though sales are the only reason for them to keep releasing seasons.
There are threads about the complete show I'm sure. You're not a moderator and the moderators seem to have no issue with this thread taking the twists and turns that it has. As rmw650 suggested, if you are unhappy with the way this thread has gone, feel free to go to another one. Frankly, I don't appreciate a self-appointed wanna be moderator telling me how to or how not to reply in a thread. This thread was started by someone who has the authority to tell me and others to bring the topic back in focus and he hasn't done so. I'll let this stand as my final thoughts as I do not intend to argue and get this thread locked because someone wants to come in and dictate how a thread should go.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
'Penultimate' means next-to, or second-to last:

"Circa 1677, from earlier penultima (n.) "the next to the last syllable of a word or verse," from fem. of L. adj. penultimus "next-to-last," from pæne "almost" + ultimus "final."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
LOL. I wanted to correct the misuse of the word "penultimate," too, but I've been told time and again it's obnoxious to do such a thing. Yet, on the other hand, how can people learn if they're not taught? So I'm glad someone else had the courage to be supposedly "obnoxious."

The great problem with language is, being 100% a human invention, words only mean what people think they mean. Meanings change over time, and probably usually due to misuse.

For instance, few words are as misused as "literally," which most people use as its exact opposite, "figuratively," as in "When they told me THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES Season 4 was coming out, I literally died." (Now you can't say this is off topic.)

But look now at what has happened to the word "literally":

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

So maybe soon "penultimate" will be defined as "the absolute ultimate," which I guess is what most people think it means now, anyway.

I will now use the words "literally" and "penultimate" correctly in one sentence:

Season 8 of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was literally the penultimate season.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Joe Lugoff said:
LOL. I wanted to correct the misuse of the word "penultimate," too, but I've been told time and again it's obnoxious to do such a thing. Yet, on the other hand, how can people learn if they're not taught? So I'm glad someone else had the courage to be supposedly "obnoxious."

The great problem with language is, being 100% a human invention, words only mean what people think they mean. Meanings change over time, and probably usually due to misuse.

For instance, few words are as misused as "literally," which most people use as its exact opposite, "figuratively," as in "When they told me THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES Season 4 was coming out, I literally died." (Now you can't say this is off topic.)

But look now at what has happened to the word "literally":

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

So maybe soon "penultimate" will be defined as "the absolute ultimate," which I guess is what most people think it means now, anyway.

I will now use the words "literally" and "penultimate" correctly in one sentence:

Season 8 of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES was literally the penultimate season.
Yes, yes, yes, but who gets your vote for Possum Queen?!!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Joe Lugoff said:
Oh, Granny, all the way. I have no use for the Mrs. Drysdales of this world. Granny would make a wonderful Possum Queen.
"Here's your choice for Possum Queen: Granny! Granny!
She don't drive no limousine. Granny all the way!"

And, mind you, I haven't seen this episode since probably 1970. I guess I really do need to get out more.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob_Ray said:
"Here's your choice for Possum Queen: Granny! Granny!
She don't drive no limousine. Granny all the way!"

And, mind you, I haven't seen this episode since probably 1970. I guess I really do need to get out more.
Vote her in to stay, come election day..........

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ron1973 said:
There are threads about the complete show I'm sure. You're not a moderator and the moderators seem to have no issue with this thread taking the twists and turns that it has. As rmw650 suggested, if you are unhappy with the way this thread has gone, feel free to go to another one. Frankly, I don't appreciate a self-appointed wanna be moderator telling me how to or how not to reply in a thread. This thread was started by someone who has the authority to tell me and others to bring the topic back in focus and he hasn't done so. I'll let this stand as my final thoughts as I do not intend to argue and get this thread locked because someone wants to come in and dictate how a thread should go.
Final thoughts yes. Not trying to be a moderator. I had made an off hand comment on how the thread got off season 4 with an Lol thinking it was funny. Evidently it was not thought if as being an off handed comment and I felt a little abused by someone telling me to go some else. I was going to let it all pass and then again someone telling me what I can say and not and I was offended as guess as much as you feel I offended you. There are way more important things going on than season 4-8 of TBH, like the Saints - Cardinals game. So let's just all go sit by the cement pond and have some of Grannies medicine.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ahollis said:
Final thoughts yes. Not trying to be a moderator. I had made an off hand comment on how the thread got off season 4 with an Lol thinking it was funny. Evidently it was not thought if as being an off handed comment and I felt a little abused by someone telling me to go some else. I was going to let it all pass and then again someone telling me what I can say and not and I was offended as guess as much as you feel I offended you.There are way more important things going on than season 4-8 of TBH, like the Saints - Cardinals game. So let's just all go sit by the cement pond and have some of Grannies medicine.
The Cardinals should lose for moving out of St. Louis! Lol!!! :lol:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ron1973 said:
The Cardinals should lose for moving out of St. Louis! Lol!!! :lol:
They did lose buddy, They did. Granny did some of her black magic and gave Drew Bree's some of her medicine so all is will on Bayou land.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
rmw650 said:
Ron, I think you may need to correct your post here as I think you meant to say Season 8 of TBH and not PJ, as that only lasted 6 seasons.
According to the Wikipedia entry, PJ lasted seven seasons, 1963-1970. Anyway, I think Ron meant when the Hillbillies went to PJ in the 8th season of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rmw650 said:
Ron, I think you may need to correct your post here as I think you meant to say Season 8 of TBH and not PJ, as that only lasted 6 seasons.
Nothing to correct. When I said "they" I meant The Beverly Hillbillies.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name

Too bad TV Bland was showing butchered episodes.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks