What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit disappointed that CBS saw fit to edit the music of Tales From the Darkside but do absolutely nothing to clean up the picture while they were making their "edits"..

I'm almost 100% certain that Tales from the Darkside was a shot that, although shot on film, was edited on NTSC videotape. For CBS to have done any remastering to the picture, they'd have had to do what they did with Star Trek: The Next Generation and go back to the original film elements (if they exist) and re-assemble the shows, a very time-consuming, and, more importantly, costly process that likely would have never broken even (I don't think they even covered all their costs on Next Generation, which is a show that would undoubtedly have sold more units than any Darkside release).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have heard that the CBS DVD condensed releases of many of their series are described as "Epik Packs." How did they get that name?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think that is the "brand name" of the special multi-disc plastic case they're using for these (much like "KeepCase" etc.).

So it's a packaging term? Did not know that! I guess then that the releases of original-recipe NBC Star Trek, The Brady Bunch, Mork and Mindy, et al. were in Epik Packs.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Ran into the new Twilight Zone B.A.P. (BIG A** PACKAGE) DVD set at Walmart yesterday. Out of curiosity, I looked it over and noticed on the back there's no subtitles and carries the disclaimer "episodes may be changed from their original network versions".

Kind of surprised on both of those, since The Twilight Zone is one of their flagship shows.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ran into the new Twilight Zone B.A.P. (BIG A** PACKAGE) DVD set at Walmart yesterday. Out of curiosity, I looked it over and noticed on the back there's no subtitles and carries the disclaimer "episodes may be changed from their original network versions".

Kind of surprised on both of those, since The Twilight Zone is one of their flagship shows.

Surprised me too-- no CC and no subtitles might make The Twilight Zone somewhat hard to enjoy for the deaf or hard-of-hearing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, I looked it over and noticed on the back there's no subtitles and carries the disclaimer "episodes may be changed from their original network versions".
Don't all CBS/Paramount shows have that warning? Being on every release renders the warning meaningless but they cover themselves so they don't care whether it's applicable or not or whether it confuses people or not. Never say never but I can't imagine that the episodes aren't exactly the way they were on the Image discs.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I'm almost 100% certain that Tales from the Darkside was a shot that, although shot on film, was edited on NTSC videotape. For CBS to have done any remastering to the picture, they'd have had to do what they did with Star Trek: The Next Generation and go back to the original film elements (if they exist) and re-assemble the shows, a very time-consuming, and, more importantly, costly process that likely would have never broken even (I don't think they even covered all their costs on Next Generation, which is a show that would undoubtedly have sold more units than any Darkside release).

Absolutely true, Darkside is a cult show at most. I just wonder how exactly CBS made those edits without going back to the original master tapes, especially for scenes that would be more difficult to dub in new music such as dialogue or sound effects heavy scenes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely true, Darkside is a cult show at most. I just wonder how exactly CBS made those edits without going back to the original master tapes, especially for scenes that would be more difficult to dub in new music such as dialogue or sound effects heavy scenes.

Do we know that any of the scenes were music edits/changes were made had any troublesome dialogue, though? Otherwise, they would've probably mixed in the replacement music over the existing soundtrack (both going at the same time), like GSN/Sony had done with 1970s Newlywed Game reruns. It apparently wasn't hard to do, because you could still hear Bob Eubanks talking over the original + replacement music on those.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The HD restoration of ST:TNG wasn't done soley for Blu-rays. It has allowed the show to continue to be syndicated on TV such a BBCAmerica.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The HD restoration of ST:TNG wasn't done soley for Blu-rays. It has allowed the show to continue to be syndicated on TV such a BBCAmerica.

I know that. I reason I mentioned the blu-rays and how well (or not) that they sold was because the person I was replying to had been referring to the Darkside DVD release and asking why CBS didn't do a remaster.

Further to that, I'm sure that CBS has also probably determined that there is likely not a huge demand for Darkside in syndication, either, another strike against a full HD remaster.

mattfire64

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
Chiller regularly aired Darkside up until earlier this year, when it was removed (Along with Friday the 13th: The Series) from the lineup permanently. Chiller however aired the old Worldvision Enterprises transfers with the original music, which was one plus to their airings of the show.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Yes, I finally gave in and got the complete Twilight Zone at that price, which is less than 50 cents an episode. Plus it has commentary and other things not found in streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks