What's new

CBS/Paramount Complete Series Craze (1 Viewer)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I've heard that Friday the 13th: The Series doesn't look any better than reruns (the old shot-on-film-and-edited-on-videotape problem), but I have fond childhood memories of it--David Cronenberg directed a few episodes, as it was shot in Toronto (though it seemed to use the same handful of odd-looking Canadian character actors repeatedly, something the X-Files and Millennium would do years later--our actors are perfect for playing serial killers, mutants, monsters, and demonically-cursed loners). It's an import, so it's been expensive on Amazon.ca, so I might pick up a complete series, as well as Tales from the Darkside, at a reasonable price. Like Travis, I highly doubt there will be a new transfer, just repackaging of existing discs.

Is the Monsters DVD set any good? I vaguely remember the show when it aired with TFTD in syndication, but its creatures seemed really cheap looking, even for the late 80s, and I don't remember any plots. Were they often based on short stories?

I am such a sucker for horror anthologies/quasi-anthologies. :)

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
I have the 3 volumes but I have not viewed them in years and have not tried them on a 16x9 tv yet .Some reviews say the dvds are worse then tv broadcast . One post said that they looked best when Monster HD aired them on the Voom satellite system ...long gone!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Do you think that CBS will sometime in the future put out a condensed release of Mannix? I mean, they've done it with M:I, The Fugitive, and The Untouchables, among others, so I would imagine that they'd have one of Mannix.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Updated list,

2 more complete series sets announced for October & November:

Perry Mason
(October)
The Lucy Show (November)

Make that three

81nQ27xJETL._SX342_.jpg

October 11, for those who don't already own the Image version.

There are also reports that a complete Blu set is coming the same day, but no one can quite confirm that outside of some confusing language in a press release.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I currently have the complete series...seasons 2 and 3 on blu and seasons 1, 4 and 5 on dvd...a convoluted history of availability and sale prices being behind that mixed set...the blu-ray sets are great, and I would prefer having the whole series that way...but the dvd's are beautifully done as well...so, yet another TZ release of a complete blu-ray set would need to be priced right for me to jump on it right away...of course, I continue to monitor the sale prices of the Image blu-ray single season sets I don't have...

I was thrilled to recently get the complete Dick Van Dyke Show blu-ray set for $60 shipped on an Amazon one day sale promo...boy, that's terrific value for the money...one of the all time great home video releases...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I was thrilled to recently get the complete Dick Van Dyke Show blu-ray set for $60 shipped on an Amazon one day sale promo...boy, that's terrific value for the money...one of the all time great home video releases...

As I've said many a time, I have felt (and still will feel) the same way about the lot releases of Barney Miller and The Bob Newhart Show-- plenty in those for what you pay (you get your money's worth, IOW).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I noticed Wal-Mart has a big Gunsmoke set now with the first 4 seasons or so of the show, much like how many of these complete series released have paired down versions for Wal-mart with a substantial portion of the show's run (Like the Andy Griffith Show release with just the B&W seasons).

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
So, does anybody have the straight story on the new Twilight Zone releases slated for yesterday (10/11/16)? From what I've read in various places, it appears that just the individual seasons have been re-released on Blu-Ray and the complete series is DVD only???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks