What's new

CBS HD On Dish Goes Live Today (8/14) ?? (1 Viewer)

Paul Dyar

Auditioning
Is it because you supposed can get the regular CBS feed over the air or is it because you have an affiliate with HD in your area? My local affiliate does not have HD and will not have it till at least next spring. If I can get the CBS feed from Dish I would dump my cable and get Dish right away. Where are the rules on getting the CBS HD? I know I don't qualify for the regular locals on Dish does that mean I can't qualify for the CBS HD too.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you live in a city that has a CBS owned and operated affiliate, you are automatically qualified. If you live in a city that has the local CBS affiliate, you can add CBS-HD for $1.99. If you live in a white area and qualify for the distant networks, you can add CBS-HD for $1.99. If your local CBS affiliate grants you a waiver, you can add CBS-HD for $1.99.
Most CBS affiliates that aren't on Dish have a policy to deny all waiver requests. My local CBS affiliate, WREG-Memphis, has this policy. I just saw the CBS-HD college football schedule and this station and others in the SEC viewing area will be over-loaded with requests for waivers.
http://www.cbs.com/hdtv/hdtv_specials.shtml
-Robert

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Wait, this is confusing. I live in New Haven CT and my local CBS is in Hartford. Getting a standard 480i signal from then via an antenna is not easy (ghosting, drops out), but I can get some kind of a signal. That means I could likely get their HDTV signal "sometimes."
So will I be able to get a waiver? Do I need to get a waiver at all? What is the actual, real policy with this DISH CBS-HD.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Paul!! Who do I yell at?
DISH is clear that I can not get either the Network feed, or HD feed without a waiver from the Portland affiliate. I have a phone call out to them now. This is kind of rediculous, as I already have a OTA antenna installed and the reception is far from adequate. The local affiliate has no immediate intentions of broadcasting a HD signal (I am too far away to receive it anyway).
Gregg
------------------
The Sonodome
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm in the Chicago area (CBS O&O) and couldn't get DISH to sign me up for the CBS-HD feed. I was put on hold several times, and the person on the phone kept saying that I would need a waiver, or my equipment said I couldn't receive it, her supervisor is denying my request, etc. Eventually I got disconnected while being transferred.
I'll try back, but it would be nice if there could be a direct line to someone that knows how to handle the CBS-HD requests, rather than trying to educate each of the probably hundreds of Customer service reps that they have.

Bruce N

Second Unit
Big mondo discussions of this are going on over at The AVS Forum . Look in the HDTV Programming section. Lots of very knowledgable people over there.
Bruce
------------------
"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I called Dish back. The rep again put me on hold off and on for probably close to a half an hour, but finally said that they added CBS-HD to my program package for $1.50. I checked it and it works! I watched about 3 minutes of Jag and got bored, however, not too impressive. Still, I'm very happy to have another HD channel.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Scooter,
You can leave it in HD mode all of the time. It will upconvert the SD chanells to 1080I. I had my Dish 6000 hooked up to my Sony 400Q before I sold it and it looked excellent. I say go for it.
Kevin C. :)

Mike I

Supporting Actor
What Kevin said is right on..Leave the 6000 in the HD mode and it will upconvert standard channels to either 1080i or 720p which ever you have it set for..It makes standard channels look great especially the premium true digital channels...
------------------

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Thanks for the reply! Looks like I am going to have pick this up! I want the CBS-HD...if only I could find a VCR to record digital!
Second question....does this recieve OTA/Cable as well...and if so...does it do the upconvert thing for these channels as well?
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter3/party.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/scooter2/index.html
[Edited last by Scooter on August 19, 2001 at 07:49 AM]

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The 6000 with the 8vsb module will pick up ota channels both digital and analog and incorporate them into the program guide....No cable at this point..
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
OK, here's a real question for you guys. I live in the Atlanta area and am receiving my local analog channels via the Dish500 system. Also, when I signed up 3 years ago (before locals were available) I got the East and West coast feeds as well as all the Super Stations. So since I already have the East and West coast analog CBS channels should I be able to get either one or the other of the CBS HD feeds? I'm thinking I'm grandfathered for the analogs because I've had them since before locals were available. But I'm wondering if they give me any grief if I can use the fact that I already have the analogs as ammo to get the HD channels as well.
Any ideas guys?
Thanks,
Brian
------------------

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
Thanks for the response! If I had the money to spend right now I'd just get the 8VSB and an antenna in my attic (I live 40+ miles from Downtown Atlanta). I'm just trying to get some more HD content as cheap as possible for the moment! Yeah, I know. Aren't we all?
Thanks again,
Brian
------------------

Mike I

Supporting Actor
O&O are CBS affiliates owned and operated by CBS
------------------
[Edited last by Mike I on August 20, 2001 at 09:07 AM]

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
Well, I got home this evening and turned on my Dish6000, went to the HD channels and there it was! I have the east coast CBS-HD channel and didn't have to do a thing! Apparently I was grandfathered in or something because I didn't make a single phone call! It's nice to get something without having to jump through hoops for a change!
Thanks again!
Brian
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks