What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Cats (2019) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’m not into broadway type shows, but I’ve seen and liked some movie adaptations of musicals (Grease, Little Shop of Horrors, probably a few others that don’t come to mind) but this Cats movie never seemed like something I would care for judging from the previews. But now that there is particularly bad buzz around it, I may just give it a shot with my wife, who is also curious because of the bad buzz.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't understand wanting to see something because it has bad buzz. I saw Cats because I love musicals and I have a history with the show and was curious to see how it was done, and the reviews did not dissuade my curiosity. But I didn't think "Oh, the buzz is terrible so now I have to see it." I would have seen it regardless of the buzz. It makes more sense to me to spend time and money on something you actually think you are going to like.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Sometimes things are so bad, they’re good. I can find entertainment in such things. There’s at least a handful of movies that I watch over and over for such reasons.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just got back, and I really, really loved it.

Of course, I love musicals, dance movies, going to the ballet, going to the opera.

And I've always liked Cats. I've listened to the Broadway album (and then the CDs) hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times and know the music and lyrics.

I had a copy of the poems before the show (bought it after seeing Logan's Run).

The only negative for me was Rebel Wilson. Every time she was on, I cringed.

I had no problem suspending my disbelief over the design and 'makeup'. I was just immersed in the dancing, singing, and music.

I will probably see it again (and buy the Blu-Ray).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I didn't hate it but I knew what to expect going in. That said it is super strange and I completely understand all the negative reactions it is getting.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Some of the songs are just a lot of fun IMO, even if the plot isn’t that great.

“Mungojerrie and Rumpleteaver”, “Skimbleshanks” and “Mr. Mistofelees” have always been fun song and I thought they were fun in this movies as well. My favorite songs from the show, “Macavity”, was also done really well. Jennifer Hudson absolutely kills it with “Memory”. I wanted to cheer when she was done and, I could have since I was the only one in the theater.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We are an old retired couple that hates crowds. Because of this we usually wait until the holidays are over to see Christmas releases. Yesterday for instance we saw the latest Star Wars. Next week we plan to see Jumanji 2. We were going to see Cats today. For the first time this stradigy hasen't worked. As of today there is not a theatre within 100km still showing it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
We are an old retired couple that hates crowds. Because of this we usually wait until the holidays are over to see Christmas releases. Yesterday for instance we saw the latest Star Wars. Next week we plan to see Jumanji 2. We were going to see Cats today. For the first time this stradigy hasen't worked. As of today there is not a theatre within 100km still showing it.

You're not missing anything.

There are a total of five showtimes today within a 60 mile radius of me at AMC.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
You're not missing anything.

There are a total of five showtimes today within a 60 mile radius of me at AMC.

Here in the DC suburbs, it's also lost tons of screenings.

Even at the mega-multiplex AMCs! The 22-screen near my house has one showing today, and an 18-screen farther down the road has 2.

Any smaller AMCs have dropped it entirely.

The 2 closest Regals - both with 16 screens each - have 1 showing/day for it.

I expect it'll be totally gone from almost all first-run complexes by next weekend and will have moved to 2nd-run bargain theaters...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We are an old retired couple that hates crowds.

Were you expecting to deal with crowds at Cats?

As of today there is not a theatre within 100km still showing it.

That's because of how poorly it's been doing, which has been well-documented since its release. It's unreasonable to expect a theater to continue to devote screens to something that is bombing in spectacular fashion. I'm sorry you missed it, but any expectation that it would remain on screens past the holidays was misplaced.

Last month, I really wanted to see Waves, but it didn't stay long and I missed it and was disappointed about that. And then I looked at the gross. It made less than $2 million, total, from all the theaters in which it screened. I wish I had been able to see it, but I totally understand why the theater cleared it out in advance of Star Wars, because Star Wars was going to make them significantly more money. There's almost no other movie in multiplexes right now that would generate less money than Cats. So why should they keep it?

If it helps at all, the movie is absolutely terrible. So if you had to miss one, you missed the right one.

The 22-screen near my house has one showing today

This is the same at my Cinemark, which is showing it only at 11:30 in the morning. To be frank, I'm surprised they didn't just get rid of it entirely this week, but I assume it must be some sort of contractual thing with Universal. This showtime also limits its gross potential because their before noon prices are less than an afternoon matinee, so it will surely be gone by next week.

I expect it'll be totally gone from almost all first-run complexes by next weekend and will have moved to 2nd-run bargain theaters...

I wonder how many second-run places will want it. It seems like they might do better with some of the older films that are getting Oscar buzz, such as Harriet for Cynthia Erivo's performance. Because that is coming to Blu-ray at the end of the month, I doubt many first-run places will want to have it back, but a second-run place would probably do better with it than with Cats. The cost of the ticket doesn't seem to be what's keeping people away from Cats; it's the buzz, and that's the same in a bargain theater as it is in a first-run multiplex.

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
“Terrible” seems to depend on your familiarity with the musical itself. Most criticism seems to focus on how stupid it is for humans to portray cats at all. There is also mockery about “Jellcle” and other terms used. This is really criticizing the source material and not the movie. I have never been a great fan of the broadway show, but I wanted to make my mind up myself about the movie.

I certainly find it understandable that it has been dropped from most theatres, I just was pointing that out. I buy Blu rays of all movie musicals, so I will make up my mind about its value when I see it in disc form.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks