What's new

A Few Words About A few words about…™ Isle of the Dead – in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
After his time with David Selznick, Val Lewton, one of the finest creators of atmospheric horror, began a career at RKO, where he created a series of delicate little horror films that has never been equalled.

Back in 2005, a wonderful set of 9 films was released by Warner on DVD, and over the ensuing years, one by one, they've been arriving on Blu-ray.

For those unfamilar with Mr. Lewton's work, the series is as follows, annotated with those released domestically on Blu-ray thus far:

The Cat People - 1942 - Criterion - 2016
I Walked with a Zombie - 1943
The Leopard Man - 1943 - Shout Factory - 2019
The Seventh Victim - 1943
The Ghost Ship - 1943
The Curse of the Cat People - 1944 - Shout Factory - 2018
The Body Snatcher - 1945 - Shout Factory - 2020
Isle of the Dead - 1945 - Warner Archive - 2021
Bedlam - 1946

That leaves four to go.

Isle, in normal Warner Archive standards is magnificent black & white, with appropriate grain, a wonderfully deep gray scale, and deep, rich blacks.

Based partially upon the lesbian vampire novel Carmilla, written in 1872 by Sheridan Le Fanu.

The Lewtons are tiny, wonderful films that run about the same length as the 1930s Universal horror classics.

Essential viewing for classic horror fans.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I pre-ordered my copy back when it was originally announced, and would have been delighted with the disc even if it was mediocre. But good to hear that it is up to WAC's traditional high standards. I wonder if the troubles over there means that we will never get the final four?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I pre-ordered my copy back when it was originally announced, and would have been delighted with the disc even if it was mediocre. But good to hear that it is up to WAC's traditional high standards. I wonder if the troubles over there means that we will never get the final four?
I believe we will.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ive read that there are HD masters for all the Lewton films. Maybe WAC will spread them out like The Thin Man series ..

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Great to read the glowing review.
Happy to hear that this Val Lewton film is restored so well.
And a good film for the pandemic age.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
After his time with David Selznick, Val Lewton, one of the finest directors of atmospheric horror, began a career at RKO, where he directed a series of delicate little horror films that has never been equalled.

Back in 2005, a wonderful set of 9 films was released by Warner on DVD, and over the ensuing years, one by one, they've been arriving on Blu-ray.

For those unfamilar with Mr. Lewton's work, the series is as follows, annotated with those released domestically on Blu-ray thus far:

The Cat People - 1942 - Criterion - 2016
I Walked with a Zombie - 1943
The Leopard Man - 1943 - Shout Factory - 2019
The Seventh Victim - 1943
The Ghost Ship - 1943
The Curse of the Cat People - 1944 - Shout Factory - 2018
The Body Snatcher - 1945 - Shout Factory - 2020
Isle of the Dead - 1945 - Warner Archive - 2021
Bedlam - 1946

That leaves four to go.

Isle, in normal Warner Archive standards is magnificent black & white, with appropriate grain, a wonderfully deep gray scale, and deep, rich blacks.

Based partially upon the lesbian vampire novel Carmilla, written in 1872 by Sheridan Le Fanu.

The Lewtons are tiny, wonderful films that run about the same length as the 1930s Universal horror classics.

Essential viewing for classic horror fans.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD – Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Glad to hear your endorsement. Just to pick a nit, Lewton did not direct any of these films...he produced them.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I've asked WA about the two remaining Lewtons, which are non-horror. Apparently the elements are not in the best of shape and they feel the cost of restoration wouldn't be earned back. A shame.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
I hope the rest get restored at some point. I have the rest that have been released. I’m eager to pick this one up in short order. If I hadn’t spent way too much on the last 4/$44 sale, I’d have already done so.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
After his time with David Selznick, Val Lewton, one of the finest creators of atmospheric horror, began a career at RKO, where he directed a series of delicate little horror films that has never been equalled.
Pretty sure Jacques Tournour would take offense to that statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks