What's new

Career Change (1 Viewer)

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
After 8 years on a strong career path in accounting and finance, I've finally decided that being a finance guy for the rest of my life just doesn't float my boat. I'd really like to get into teaching business/accounting at the college level. I know I'll have to take a major pay cut, but I know it's what I want to do.

Short of going back for my doctorate, can anybody give any input as to the best course of action to make this happen for me? I have a BS in accounting, am a certified public accountant, and plan on getting my MBA from a top ten school in the next couple of years. For the past couple of years, I've been trying to get as much industry experience and practical information about the business environment as possible.

I realize that I'm a little green right now, but hope that I'll be in a position to be a "practicing" professor in the next 5 years or so.

Does anybody have any thoughts about things I can do to help me get where I want to go?

Thanks in advance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you considered asking former college professors for their thoughts on the best plan to get into their profession? It will help to get your doctorate if you want to teach at the college level (that whole "scholastic credibility" thing) or be in the process of getting your doctorate. Also, some courses in education will help in getting the material from you to your students.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I've put out a couple of feelers to old professors and the dean of my old business school, but not the "Is there anything you can do for me?" type e-mails. I asked more general questions around what I need to do to get there, etc.

It's actually kind of scary to throw away everything I've built up over the past couple of years and the future that it could have provided.

I informed my boss of my thoughts this morning and told her that I'm probably going to leave the company by summer to seek different types of experience and expand my horizons beyond this specific industry. She was very understanding and supportive, but the safety net is still gone. I can't afford to procrastinate any longer.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I graduated from UGA, you couldn't get a teaching job without a phd there. But I have no knowledge about smaller schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks