What's new

Captioning and DVDs (1 Viewer)

Verna

Auditioning
I have recently purchased a new movie just released on DVD and just recently out of the theaters. This DVD shows the captioning symbol on its case, but has no options anywhere on the DVD menu for English Subtitles for the hearing impaired. I have tried the subtitle button on the DVD remote while the movie is in progress to no avail. I have tried the regular captioning through my television to no avail. How can I get the DVD to caption? Can this be a connection problem? Note however that the regular captioning on my tv works fine, and all other DVDs that include English subtitles on their menus work fine. If the case shows the captioning symbol it has to be captioned(Not to mention the fact that it's Federal Law). So there has to be a way to fix this. Does anyone have any info?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I think subtitles and captioning are actually 2 different things. Subtitles are displayed by the DVD player.. captions are displayed by the TV. So, if the disk does indeed state captions rather than subtitles:

Make sure your TV is CC capable... and make sure it's CC function is active. (on some TV's you have to mute before the CC's will show up)

That's my guess.

Verna

Auditioning
Thanks Dave. I tried your idea of using the mute function while the DVD was playing on all four caption channels: cpt1, cpt2, txt1, and txt2. It didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks