Can't view files on CDR

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

I'm trying to back up my data before I mess around with reinstalling my OS.

Twice I've written a collection of photos from my hard drive onto a CDR, and have been unable to view them on the disc each time.

When I load the burned CD and click on the 'D' drive in My Computer, it shows "FREE SPACE: 440MB" and "TOTAL SIZE: 440MB".

This makes no sense to me; why would my free space be the same amount as the total size?

My major concern is that none of the files that I copied to the disc appear in the 'D' window within My Computer. I believe they were copied properly, and I believe they are on the disc. I just cannot see them and therefore would not be able to access them if I need to re-install them onto the hard drive.

I used Nero software (which works fine for me for burning audio CDs, etc.). All indications during the process were that it was working fine.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Rob Gillespie

Jon,
    When writing the disc, make sure you 'finalise' it. In Nero you'll need to enable the 'No Multisession' option.

Most rom drives now should be able to read multi-session discs, but it sounds like your can't.

3. Jon_Are

Rob - I can't find the NO MULTISESSION option; can you point me there?

My drive is fairly new, and I would think it would be able to read multi-session discs. It's a Lite-On 40x12x48x.

In any case, the second disc I burned was a single session; I got the same results.

I believe the disc was finalized - it ejected it and sucked it back in as well.

Can anyone explain the 440MB shown for both FREE SPACE and TOTAL SIZE?

Thanks,

Jon

4. Jon_Are

OK...I just tried opening the disc, and now all the files appear there, just as they should.

Ya gotta love computers.

Jon

5. Rob Gillespie

When you create a new CD-ROM in Nero, tick the box for No Multisession and under the 'Burn' tab tick the one for Finalize Disc.