What's new

cant shut off c555es w remote? (1 Viewer)

Warren Hubbs

Agent
why is there no way of shutting off the 555es with the remote?...i use the mx500....is there a way to find discrete on/off comands?....thank you for your time

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You are out of luck. The unit can only be turned on/off from the front panel. This is typical of CD players, which I never understood. Every DVD player I've owned has supported power on/off by remote, but I've never owned a CD player with this function.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Warren,

I never understood why there is no power switch on the 555ES. You've opened up a can of worms about electronics on/off.

I am old enough to remember the days of channel changing by getting off the sofa and doing it by hand, so it's not a bother to me.

What I do is when I power my system on, I just leave it on for the day and then shut it off at night. Different strokes for different folks.

Joe Cole

Second Unit
My XA777Es is the same way. The reason is to keep added noise to a minimum. Remote on/off switches add noise.

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Warren,

I plug my 555ES directly into my Denon 3802, thus when I power up the receiver, the SACD player turns on as well.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Hey, I have the 555ES also and wondered if there is a way to fast forward to a certain point in a song from the front panel of the unit. It's is easily done with the remote, but need a way to use the front panel, thanks.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
When I sold HT stuff, most Sony's had this dopey feature, i.e. a mechanical on/off button. Extremely irritating! And doesn't that 555ES cost around $800? :frowning:
BTW, my Technics SL-PG4 single-disc CD player that I bought last May has an electronic on/off button. So does my parent's 1995 model Technics carousel player (sorry, Technics/Panasonic stuff always gets ragged on, but I have much experience with it and like their equipment).
LJ

John Royster

Screenwriter
Generally electronic power switches are avoided with nicer gear. The switching causes noise.

DOH, Joe already covered this.

Warren Hubbs

Agent
When I sold HT stuff, most Sony's had this dopey feature, i.e. a mechanical on/off button. Extremely irritating! And doesn't that 555ES cost around $800?
paid $600 ...best sounding cd player i ever had........i didnt realize it was a noise issue......not a big deal...anything for cleaner sound :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
A power switch a noise issue? A simple on/off circuit (solid-state gate or mechanical relay) for the power supply??? At the risk of sounding like a flamer, that sounds like golden ear audio voodoo. High-end manufacturers like to tout this "feature" because many of these same mom-n-pop boutique operations just plain can't afford to incorporate remote control circuits (& their associated software) of ANY kind into their equipment, much less the remote itself.
Over at an audiophile forum, someone tried to convince me the power switch ITSELF--as far as what it's metal contacts were made of--could audibly affect the sound of a component.
I couldn't stop giggling.
LJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lance said:
Over at an audiophile forum, someone tried to convince me the power switch ITSELF--as far as what it's metal contacts were made of--could audibly affect the sound of a component.
What the world needs are solar-powered CD and SACD players. That would kill night sessions, to borrow a phrase from Chris Botti, but anything for clear sound! ;)
All,
Don't get down on Sony too much over this. First of all, very, very few CD players have a standy mode. As Bruce Hornsby said, that's just the way it is. Secondly, the Sony SACD players are great audio components. O.K., so they aren't perfect. No component is.
The only CD players I have seen on the market in recent years with a standby mode are CD megachangers. My Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc models have a standby mode. It is convenient, but not a big deal to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks