What's new

Candy Counter, redux (1 Viewer)

MikeWh

Second Unit
I thought I'd revisit a topic from many months ago... I noticed (in another forum :frowning: ) that Darren has added a new candy counter to his theater. I thought I'd toot his horn for him. (Uh-oh. That doesn't sound as good as I had hoped).

Anyway... It's a very nice looking DIY! Congrats on the addition, Darren. Now, jump in here with a URL and get some nice feedback. :emoji_thumbsup:

Glenise-- did you ever get your concession stand finished? I put my candy counter project on hold... I decided to tear apart my theater last month to retrofit it with front projection.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yeah. I saw that recently. He said he got it for about $100. Not bad. I'm trying to get one for free.... If I land one, I'll be sure to post! :emoji_thumbsup:

LarryE

Stunt Coordinator
I used a counter similar to this from a Wal-Mart eyeglass counter, which was lighted, and I got it for free to boot. It really looks great, and I painted it a deep midnight blue to match my decor. Look around for places going out of business, remodeling etc.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Hey-hey! Darren lives! :)

Glad to see you finally found this thread. I should have PM'd you. Oh well.

paul_r

Grip
Darren that is one cool candy counter. I was wondering if you could go into a little detail on how you made the top with the glass? Also if it wouldn't be to much trouble maybe even post a few close up pictures and some from the bottom looking up? If you can't no worries.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

I will see what I can do as far as the pics go. The glass top wasn't that hard. I first cut out the area with a jig-saw. Then using a Router I cut a 1/4 deep lip all around the edge of the openings for the glass to sit. Then I sanded it smooth. Since I knew the rectangular openings were not exactly square I took the top to a glass company and had then cut the glass to fit the openings. This mutha is heavy having used MDF, so I attached two handles to either side to assist when moving the monster!;)

paul_r

Grip
Thanks darren. I look forward to the pictures. I have used a router on MDF before (what a mess) almost as bad as sanding sheet rock mud. I had dust all over the house for a week after my last MDF project and it was a small one. :)
I have finished construction in my basement and theater. Now comes the hard part decorateing. Must be the guy in me but I am clueless when it comes to stuff like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks