What's new

Canadian sound vs. British sound? (1 Viewer)

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
Its a old saying. Was more North American sound over Britsh
Doesnt seem to apply anymore.
Was becuase Longtime ago companys like Warfdale, Mission,and other English speakers did not have a very good abilty to produce bass. Unlike North American sound where bass was more evident and bigger was badder in woofer size.

Its all the same now.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator

i'm going to disagree with this. when i got my setup (marantz amp, monitor audio speakers) i noticed a difference in sound. i found canadian speakers like energy to be harsh to my ears and paradigms to be bassy and more for rock music. i found mission and monitor audio on the other hand more smooth and detailed.

of course this is just my opinion and what my ears find pleasing others might think is garbage.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I was told, way back in the way back, that the difference is in the imaging.

Canadian/American speakers tend to image with a more foreward pronouncement, due to the habit of North American bands placing the lead vocalist/s and instrumentalists in front and center stage.

British musical acts on the other hand, were more orchestral, with a more even arrangement of musicians on stage right to left.

Of course, I'm not sure that I buy all that. :D

Now brightness etc. is more a factor of materials and design. The Energy can be very bright, due to their metal tweeters, whereas the cloth tweeter on the Mission are more warm and pure, to me.

Basswise, I find that the Mission deliver more convincing thump than the cognate models from Energy.

david_shy

Agent
when I used to work in a hifi shop in the mid-80's we used to generalise about there being a "British" Sound & an "American" sound in speakers

that generalisation was that the British-sounding speakers were had a more neutral or slightly warmer sound compared to the American-sounding speakers which were more bright & forward in their mid-range and top-end

Of course it didn't matter where the speakers were designed or manufactured, it was just a guide to group products together.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I think David's post is a good basic refelction of what once was, and still is (in some Britt to American) speaker comparisions.

Far from set in stone then, late 70's & 80's, and I'd say even less so in todays speaks. This was also my take/generalization, that, it was the main difference most often heard, commented on, and talked about when comparing the tonal quality of the average Britt/American speaker thing.

There was and are speaker brand/model exceptions definitely, on both sides that obviously do not cater to this, but this was and still is something often mentioned between the two when generalizing.

The Britt's and a softer, more neutral, even rolled off approach in the mid and high freqs, and American speaks with a more up front even in your face style.
Call the sound difference what you like, but I belive you get the jif.

I think this still lives even today in some of the long time brands from both sides, but to a much less degree over all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks