What's new

Canadian "From Hell" and "Planet Of Apes" pic issues. Please help. (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I have Canadian copies of the Fox DVD's "From Hell" and "Planet Of The Apes (2001)". As far as I can tell the extras, supplements and audio tracks are the same specs, BUT is the picture quality the same. For instance my copy of "…Apes" is quite 'soft'-looking, yet all the reviews say that the picture is of reference quality. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Armand G

Stunt Coordinator
I also have both discs. But only the Canadian version. I can't compare the two since I don't own the US versions.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
very, very unlikely. i can't see fox making two masters for practicularly the same if not THE same DVD. that's crazy pants!
and never, never take any reviewers word on anything. i've lost count the number of times i've read "reference quality" in a review, only to find it wasn't. sorry, but that's the cold, hard reality. don't know why we keep 'em around. :)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Usually the only time there is any difference in the Canadian version (except for an added French track) is when it's released by a different distrubutor. A number of movies released by Alliance Atlantis, for example, have had different transfers, features and audio tracks. Big releases like POTA and From Hell are mostly going to be the same thing.

POTA didn't seem soft to me.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Andy,

you seem to have a downer against DVD. Fair enough, some dvd's don't look as good as others but i thought POTA looked superb. I only have a 32 inch screen but then again so do the majority of people. Just out of interest what size screen do you have? I presume you have a large screen to spot so many faults with dvd's. I suppose i am just pleased at having a high quality format like dvd after watching so many videos through the years!

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I have both of these and they look fine on a 32" w/s TV.
I thought the Canadian and US versions were indentical as Fox release them in both countries ?
My cases I think had both of the rating logos so would assume they are the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks