What's new

Canada gets SCREWED!! (1 Viewer)

Jason GT

Second Unit
The problem with HK and Denon is that their list prices (even before the loonie picked up) were roughly double that of US prices. That's ridiculous, even with a 66 cent loonie. Then of course there is the issue of competition - which there is far more of in the states, but that's not a distributor problem.

From what I can tell, Yamaha is pretty good on reasonable "exchange" prices (could be that Yamaha has its own Canadian distribution channels whereas Denon and HK do not). Rotel's prices for previous stuff have always been 150% of US list, so it's not horrible. Hopefully the new stuff will be at a bit better price.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of Mirage speakers that were made in Canada and they kick ass. Also, my guitar, a Seagull, was made in Canada. :) Canadians are great!

Steve_Corrick

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW
You might consider peace of mind by buying one of the after market extended warranties if you are saving enough to start to make it worth adding. Many mfrs wtys on entry level units are only 90 days labor - 1 year parts, perhaps 1yr/1yr at best. An extnded waranty of 3-4 years might add about $50 - $90 USD. You probably do not see a 3yr P/L mfr's wty until you get into the higher end units from most mfr's around $2500.oo USD and up. About here or above, Denon 4x00 series - Elite 5x series - Marantz 8x00 series - etc.

You would still need to see if an extended wty would cover you in Canada.
Mfr's or extended, you are going to pay to ship it in for any service. No assurance that an extended wty company will still be in biz down the road if you need to make a claim, the retailer is not the extnded wty company.
Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks