What's new

Can you safely hook up AV1's RCA and S-Video input, even if they aren't used at the same time? (1 Viewer)

Chromey

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
My CRT television has options for cable input, and AV1 input which can be connected by either S-video or RCA composite cable. Can I safely hook up an RCA and S-Video input from different sources, even if I only play back one source at a time?

I am hooking up both a DVD player and a game console to the TV, and I am short on inputs, so I will hook up the console to AV1 using composite video, and the DVD player using the S-video input. Obviously, there will be an issue if the console and DVD player are turned on at the same time, since this would send two video signals to the television. But, will there be a problem (such as noise, "confusing" the television, etc) if both of AV1's video inputs are connected to different devices? I'm guessing there won't be, but I wanted to check if anyone has done this before. Also, the composite audio from each source is going into a small receiver, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks for any feedback!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
uhm, I think the best guess will be: "it depends."

If they're on the same circuit, or better yet, multistrip ("they" being the two sources,) then it should be "safe" -- to the equipment.

If they'll fight eachother or not I wouldn't want to guess, but if they do, it'll be pretty obvious.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks