What's new

Can I hook my car subwoofers up to my home reciever? (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
I have two 12" GS Redline GSD that I want to hook up to my Yamaha HTR5150 receiver. My question is since car speakers are 2 OHM and home is 8 OHM will this blow the speakers or the receiver? Thanks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If your amp can't handle 2 or 4 ohm speaker loads, don't be surprised when your amp starts to fail due to the subs drawing too much juice from the amp, and causing the thermal protection to kick in and shut down the amp on the receiver.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
Don't know, but a lot of people hook their home up to their car!
crazy.gif

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Don't know, but a lot of people hook their home up to their car!
Hey, you wouldn't believe it, but there are crazy folks around.
My father built a house for this guy who wanted an outlet for an electric car. He doesn't own one, doesn't ever plan to, and yet wanted the outlet in case someone driving by ever needed one.
laugh.gif

[Edited last by Joseph S on October 06, 2001 at 10:08 PM]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My question is since car speakers are 2 OHM...
You are kidding right? Most aftermarket car speakers are 4 or 8 ohm, 4 being the norm. A lot of factory, however, will be 8 ohm, but I have seen odd stuff like 6, 10, 12, & 16 ohm factory speakers. I have never seen a 2 ohm subwoofer, though.
Double check the magnets on the subs to make sure of the impedance. Most likely, they will be 4 or 8 ohm. If they are within power range, you should be able to run them, no problem. Most home receivers will let you choose between 4 or 8 ohm output.
Let us know what you find.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivrCasa del Clint

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have 2 Kenwood 10" car subs in my HT setup. they are driven by a seperate NAD amplifier, which is switchable between 4 or 8 ohms. My pioneer reciver is sending the Sub pre-out signal to the NAD amp. Never had a problem running my car subs in the setup, and they sound Awesome

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
Buy another 4 ohm subwoofer and hook all three up in series to get 8 ohms, but then you'd need a really powerful amp to actually drive them.
As long as you are going to build a box (or already have one?), you could just buy a new subwoofer. They aren't that much at www.partsexpress.com or www.allcorp.com.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
quote:
You are kidding right? Most aftermarket car speakers are 4 or 8 ohm, 4 being the norm. [/quote]
Uhm... a lot of (decent quality) subs come in 2 ohm options, I think pretty much all the image dynamics stuff does.. there are times when it's nice to push a 1 ohm load (my amp will do a half ohm stereo)
anyway series the 2 ohm subs for a 4 ohm load and give it a shot, I would think the yamaha could handle 4 ohms, if the protection shuts it off don't do it again :) easy 'nuff.
[Edited last by Philip_G on October 07, 2001 at 11:16 AM]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Have 2 ohm subs been made for very long? I ran in USACs for a number of years and cannot remember ever seeing a 2 ohm sub. (I'm not saying they don't make them, but I've never seen one.) Multi 8s or 4s bridged down to 1 ohm or less is a pretty normal thing to do. One of my friends ran a Nissan truck with 8 15s, running two sub amps at 1/4 ohm each.
Who all makes 2 ohm subs?
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=mport_drivr Casa del Clint
[Edited last by Clinton on October 07, 2001 at 12:47 PM]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Van,
It is not as dangerous as some people think to hook 2 Ohms speakers to 4 or 8 Ohms amps. Just be a bit careful and listen to possible distortion: that's very bad!
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on October 07, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"my amp will do a half ohm stereo" DAMN that aint no Sparkomatic amp :)
2 ohm subs have been around for years and offer lots of hookup options. Don't expect them on $50 subs though.
I've never found "midprice" auto subs that have excursion anywhere near a home sub.
I used a Pioneer 12" sealed in a 2.2cuFT enclosure in both a Honda civic and a Pontiac 6000 it sounded great. I found that at home the low excursion of the sub wasn't able to pressurize the room at all.
That's just me though.
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my amp will do a half ohm stereo
heheh, soundstream.. all I ever run :) currently running a reference 604 for my subs (only 2 infinity 10's, but I could run 4 easily since the 604 is kind of 2, two channel amps together I could parallel to subs to each side) and a reference 300 to push my image dynamics 6.5" up front. KILLS my electrical system with an optima and a 1 farad cap though
frown.gif
4 guage wire throughout, 1ga ground from the battery.
anywho, look at DVC subs, they can run 2 or 8 ohm (or 4 I suppose if you only wired one side) personally I think a 2ohm sub is the way to go, you can run 4 if you HAVE too.. just gotta buy a good amp :) which really, the older SS stuff is dirt cheap, not feature rich but solid solid amps that make a LOT of clean power, last time I measured my 604 it put out over 300 watts per side for 600 or so rms

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks