What's new

audo sub woofer on my home thearer system? (1 Viewer)

mjnp06

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
hi. i have a samsung receiver with 170 watts from the sub output. on the back of the reciever is says: impedence: subwoofer 3 ohms, front rear center 3 ohms. i was under the impression all home stereo was 8 ohms. my question is, can i hook up my car subwoofer with dual 2 ohm voice coils thanks mike

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most home theater speakers are 8 ohms. Some are 6 ohms, some are 4 ohms. Many htib speakers are 3 ohms. Who knows what Bose speakers are?? You can usually use speakers that are rated higher than the receivers, but a lower ohm rating might cause a problem. What is the model number of the Samsung receiver?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This "170 watts" you refer to(since it is obviously HTiB) is completely bogus. It is a PMPO rating. I doubt this HTiB coughs up more than 10 watts per channel... And I mean "coughs up"...

mjnp06

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
the reason im curious because i take the sub and box out of my car for the winter and they are just sitting there in my room, the box is 3 cubic feet with 2 three inch ports. if i wire the sub for 4 ohms and the receiver says 3 ohms, do you see any problems? mike

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I highly doubt that receiver will be able to run your sub, just saying.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Do yourself a favor... 1. Go find a calculator. 2. Go look on the back for how much power this Samsung pulls off the wall. 3. Subtract 40 watts for video. 4. Divide the rest by 6. 5. Ask yourself "Do I really want to drive the subwoofer with that much distorion addled power?" That Samsung is rated at 10% distortion.

mjnp06

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
point well taken. ill just throw a blanket over it so i dont have to see it every day. lol mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks