What's new

Can Avia testing show speaker's quality? (1 Viewer)

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone help me?

Something is bothering me right now. Using my Avia disc, with the sound test for Low Frequency (200 to 20 Hz) Sweep, I seem to get a roller coaster ride with my Radio Shack SPL meter.

I set it at C-weighting, Slow, and try to set the volume to produce around 70db. I also turned-off my sub to take it out of the equation.

There are frequencies where in the reading would peak to the right end (around 150Hz and 55Hz) and there are others where it would go down to the left. Is this normal? That the sound level go from 60db to 80db using that test tone?

I feel that because of this, the sound of the speakers doesn't scale smoothly when listening to music.

My speakers are Wharfedale Diamonds.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the wonderful world of room interactions. That type of an in room response is quite normal. Do some searches on room treatments. People often don't realize how much of an impact your room has on the sound.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
response was averaged over ±45°, with double weight directly on-axis, where the primary listener will sit. — Tom Nousaine
NOTE: Because my website is 'FREE', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
Phil

Myki Cantero

Stunt Coordinator
Phil, that's a very informative site you've got there. I wish I saw your site 4 months ago before I bought a home theater. :)

myki

Fong

Stunt Coordinator
wow phil, that's some good stuff. thx.

are those all of the graphs from sound & vision? i think most speaker brands in that price range (

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks