What's new

Can anyone recommend a decent high-capacity tape drive? (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a PC-based solution to back up my DVD projects and final DVD images that I need to retain. Whereas I have no real problems with going SCSI, I have to get an IDE card anyway, probably ATA-133. (Don't know that I'm willing to jump to serial-ATA at this point.)

In total, I'm probably looking at about 60-70 GB for active projects that I want to back up for short-term disaster recovery. I have an additional 100 GB or so of project images that I want to back up, probably 40% of which are archival/long-term (4+ years minimum).

The last time I did PC backups on magnetic media, I used a Sony SuperStor that is by no means sufficient enough anymore. (I've been backing up system and personal files on CD-R and DVD-R for a while now.)

Price and retention reliability are the primary issues. Because this system is its own (not my primary system), I can have it start the backup and walk away, so speed is of minor concern.

DLT? LTO? SLR? Drive/manufacturer suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I'd love to buy a Sun StoreEdge, but I'm sure that my wife would have a major problem with my putting a lien on the house to get one. :D

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I have an exabyte vxa 2 which I got due to recommendations for reliability, compatibility with linux, and it had the capacity I was looking for.

You can find it for sub-$1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks