What's new

Can analog inputs be shared for DVD-A and SACD? (1 Viewer)

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any (easy) way to connect two sets of analog outputs to the receiver for separate DVD-A and SACD?
Would like to set up two separate units to achieve the best performance for these newer formats, as none seem to get it right on all 3 (DVD-A and SACD)
The video quality of the rp82 is desired, but no SACD. There are SACD units, but they seem to lack in either video quality or DVD-A.
Laf, on to the heart of the question. My Onkyo 696 only has one set of analog inputs. How can I (can I?) hook up separate DVD-A and SACD units with one set of inputs on the receiver?
Am not willing to spend too much now, may decide to just wait for a universal unit :frowning:

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, that sounds complicated, which is a minor negative. Truth be told, I would like to know a little more about them. Is there a specific name for these switchboxes, so I can search for them? Would be a minor inconvenience to have to flip a switch to change from listening to DVD-A to SACD. The switches would most likely have to be hidden from direct view (see below, hehe).
The second issue with a switchbox is the clutter that "may" result. SO likes a nice neat place. :)
Lastly, does the introduction of these swithboxes result in the possibility of sound degredation? Easy rule in the past has been that the greater the number of hops from point A to point B only results in an increased risk of loss of data.
Sigh... A nice universal player with great quality on all three formats would be too much to hope for at this time, it seems :frowning:

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, Radio Shack makes small switch boxes for $15 each. You need two of them to switch between two 5.1-channel sources. So, for $30, you would be set. The Radio Shack part number for this switch box is 15-1952, and you can get them at radioshack.com or at your local store. Do a search here for "15-1952" to see how these switch boxes are used. I use them, and they are great for just $30. They don't cause a lot of clutter, as I have them tucked away somewhat. They are accessible, but not obtrusive.

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh, thanks, Keith! They don't look that bad (read: ugly). Interesting, 3 inputs each. Hehe, wonder what it would sound like if I had something playing in each source and only swithced one box! Sounds like a fun experiment:D
I may well have go this route. I've been lusting after the 45A, priced right. Am a bit leery about the video quality from it, though ( chroma bug ). Am used to my rp56, great picture. I think I would definitely be sorry to give it up for the ability to play all formats in one neat package. I may wait just a liiitle longer to see if the 47Ai or Onkyo unit get it right. Tough call, as upgraditis has me in its grip:frowning: Plus the rp56 is on its deathbed, disks keep freezing occasionally... Just makes it easy to rationalize, hehe.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, no problem. Sorry to hear about your 'RP56 dying since it is not an old model. If the '47Ai and new Yamaha, Onkyo, and Integra universal players are in your price range, then you should wait. Perhaps one of them will offer everything you are looking for. I might go with separate components before buying the '47A or Marantz '8300 based on what I have read about those components thus far. Hopefully the forthcoming universal players will make a more compelling argument for the all-in-one route.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks