What's new

can an x- box be used for a dvd player? (1 Viewer)

alan fallert

Agent
Hi, I am not sure on this, can an x-box vidio game system be hooked to my home theater system and be used as a dvd player? will it play back the dvds in dolby digital and dts? I have a dolby digital reciever with dts both are built into the reciever. Im just thinking about killing 2 birds with one stone by being able to play games and be able to use the x-box as a dvd in my home theater system.Do you need some kind of extra box or kit of some kind so the e-box will play dvds? thanks.

GaryAR

Agent
the xbox will act as a dvd player if you buy the remote control ($30). unfortunately, the xbox does not support progressive-scan playback. this is it's major downfall as a dvd player.
to get digital audio, you'll need to pick up the advanced av pack. that gives you spdif output (digital optical) and component video output.
the xbox does support progressive-scan for gaming. if you have a tv that can handle it, then the advanced av pack is a must. the difference between s-video output and 480p is huge imnsho. hopefully, games supporting higher resolutions are on their way (but... vaporware???)
i have a feeling a moderator will move this thread shortly...
-gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks