What's new

Can amp be modified to utilize DC trigger? (1 Viewer)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Just wondering if a power amp can be modified to include a DC trigger? And if so, how much do you think a local technician would charge (I'm not very handy with a soldering iron)? I am thinking about the Parasound 806/1206 and Acurus amps, which don't have DC triggers.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, the answer is yes. Now, if you want the circuitry inside your amp, you should realize the work will most likely void the amp manufacturer's warranty. An outboard switching relay could be built. It would have an input for the DC trigger, and an internal heavy duty relay to power up an ac receptacle into which your power amp would be plugged. I don't know what a tech would charge, so get quotes for the complete job, rather than an hourly rate.

BTW, have you contacted the amp mfgrs to ask if they have any such outboard devices for sale?

Kevin Magee

Agent
The easiest solution is to buy the 4 outlet power filter from Mondial. It has a dc trigger and cost about 200.00. I see used ones selling for 99.00. It is not current limiting and would offer some power conditioning as well.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ricky,

Some here use a Craftsman Auto Switch from Sears for this purpose (part #00924031000). Best of all, it’s cheap, only $20 – pretty much makes a modification project moot.

If you need something with a delayed turn-on features, you can get the Adcom ACE-515 on e-bay for about $125

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks