Can a subwoofer from a rock band be used

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

A friend of mine saw a front projector and was stunned that something like that existed. He is going to go buy one. I told him that he needed to buy a decent sound system to go along with it otherwise he would really be missing out. He was in a rock band for many years and still has a lot of equipment. He asked if he could use his subwoofer from his band days. It is a sealed single 18 inch driver that has an external amplifier. He has many amps. I am not sure what he wants to use, but wattage is not an issue. Is this OK?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sure, if he wants an ugly box covered with black carpet the size of a small chest freezer in his living room.

Aside from that, the only downside that is that most of those subs don’t do much below 40 Hz, but in a living room he might be able to EQ in some of the lowest frequencies.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Greg_Hammond

Greg_Hammond Agent

The problem your friend is going to have with the 18" sub cabinet is that it won't produce very good bass at lower listening volumes. I have a Peavey black-widow 18" sub and ported cabinet that is >20 years old that does a FINE job as sound reinforcement for my live rig, but it would be overpowering if I operated the sub at it's best power range inside the home theatre.

I'm with Wayne though when it comes to putting an ugly carpeted box the size of a chest freezer in your home theatre. If your friend's theatre is going to be an unfinished basement with a sheet hanging from the ceiling for the screen - the rock band sub cabinet might well become the centerpiece of the room. =)

Greg

4. John S

John S Producer

I used a 15" cab from the old band days for along time, I like it very much. I finally decided the size and look was just to much for the overall decor feel in my living room. I tried to use JBL 12" sub stuff and blew three of them. (I was used to being able to run my subs way way hot with the other brute)

I now use a 15" Velodyne and been thrilled with it for more than 2 years now.

So I can say, if he gets used to the 18" running hot, he will have to anti up some bucko's when / if he ever wants to change it, to be happy.

5. Scott Moeller

Scott Moeller Auditioning

I did the reverse. I used a big home theater sub and put a mic on our drummers bass kick. We had it hooked up to the mixing board. It worked great. Ha.

6. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Just to make things clear. This isn't going to be permanent. It will be a tool to help him decide how important a sub is in his set-up. I don't think a shoebox from a HTiB will give him any useful information. With this, he will be able to decide if he wants to spend $150 on a sub or $1000. I have my own opinions, but with this guy if I suggest a $500 SVS that ends up sitting around a lot I will never hear the end of in.
    Thanks guys.

7. John S

John S Producer

feed it lots of power.. like 400 watts min. It shoudl; show him how important a sub is. The band cabs are power hungry to say the least.

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Especially as a tool it will help him tremendously.

A sub isn't even strictly necessary to start a modest home theater with reasonable DD. Adding a rock band sub can only be a welcome addition.

He's going to love it.

Cees