What's new
World Wide Stereo

Cambridge Soundworks TI500 lack of strong bass? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
How can you wire an rca out of phase it's a push in conenctor on both ends.....

One speaker was doign ti a lot mor ethen the other, origianlly i was just going to replace the one, but since it was sugested to exchange the pair, going with it.

I just hope I'm not expecting too much for these and in trying to get them to perform the way i think they should, I am destroying them. Which is why I made the thread to determin defect, mis use or over expectation.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Tony...that was really funny...I laughed out loud!

The low freq. "minus" the LFE is sent to the mains...and the Subwoofer receives the "Low freq of channels set to large" PLUS the LFE. The LFE is stripped from the mains when the subwoofer is set to "on" in the A/V menu (even when mains are designated as LARGE).

Jeff W.

Stunt Coordinator
The RCA cable might be wired wrong internally.. I know that would be really strange, but since one speaker sounds OK then I think you already figured it out, you got a defective one, send it back.

I've heard the T500 and the T300 and the older Towers and I owned a pair of Tower IIs for almost 3 years, none of them had a problem like you describe.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Just picked up a set of these and thougt i'd post my thoughts. Forunately, I live within driving distance of several stores, so it wasn't too difficult to take a set home. I have found that the best way to hook them up is via speaker wire. That way, you won't have to worry whether your receiver/processor is doing something wacky to the sound. You do lose the volume control for the subs, but the bass contour control works and allows you some flexibility re low bass output.

So far they sound quite good - the bass is excellent using the speaker wire configuration, low, powerful and fast. I hope Anthony's got his new pair and they're working well for him. i also picked up an MC500 for the center and here is where I'm a little concerned: they don't seem to match the towers that well, generating a much softer presentation (dare I say smoother up top). i don't know what's going on here, but I tried two different MC500s and though both sound the same. I also picked up 2 pair of M50s for surround duty: these sound very good for the price paid, $179 the pair.

The T500s sound a little bright, but I'm still breaking them in (my ears, that is), and they sure play quite loud and look very, very nice. If the low end does not rock your world, you must have a defective pair.

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!! Get the new towers monday lettign them stretch their legs

Learned a couple things

For 1) I had the bass too high in the CSII Settings, for 2), I think i had them miss wired, though not sure it maters... I had them wired to the 2 middle posts enstead of top and 3rd

for 3) the towes are to be apreciated from a distance, get too clsoe and the bass effect isn't very prounounced btu step back and get hammered

However the other pair was damaged and these perform much more closer to what iw as expecting. Still not sure i like some of the vibrations comming off the cone at certian frequencies, but it's a minor thing. Maybe it's my ears

Anyway *thumbs up* their good for now, maybe use them as full range and add a SVS PB2 later on

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
When I spoke with Cambridge they recommended using the speaker wire connection only and leaving the straps in place. They said they sound better that way, meaning they don't want you to connect it via an rca cable to the subwoofer out of your receiver. They said to just use speaker wire and adjust the bass with the built in control.

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
Yes thats how i have it wired this time. I notice the mid-bass drivers get much more use that way, they hardly received signal when it was split. And they do sound better. It just didn't make sence, i figured the more wire conections the better, hence bi amping etc.

It's just kinda sad cus then you can't add extra subs if you wanted too...but so far, I'm not needing too.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
Sure you can add more subs, if you have a processor that will allow you to cross over to the mains really low. Mine allows a crossover point at 30 so I can add a sub to pretty much any speaker.

Anthony Urzi

Stunt Coordinator
but for the towers to get the full sound I need to disable the sub...so LFE goes to towers, if i enble sub, i can't get lfe to ti's without going rca and daisy chaining them.
right?

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
That depends on the bass management of your processor. Some allow separate lfe out. My Lexicon has three sub outs: left, right, and lfe. I can send my lfe to a sub and run the left and rights full range, or cross over the fronts anywhere from 30 to 120 and send the bass (including the lfe) to a sub. It depends on the what your processor allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tim86
Recent bookmarks