What's new

Call me crazy but I did it..... (1 Viewer)

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Well I had been looking to enhance my two channel experience for quite a while now. I had been debating a two channel amp addition to my 3801. I first started looking at budget B&K, Rotel, Parasound gear but I knew at the back of my mind that I wasn't going to stop there and would need to upgrade again and again and ......So I thought I might as well start upgrading to the best components I will ever dream of owning one at a time. For now I am happy with the processing capabilities of the 3801 so I thought of getting a killer 2-channel amp for my fronts. I know, I know speakers would make the most difference but the speakers that I drool over are way out of my budget (atleast right now) so I started debating over Rotel 1080, B&K 2220, Parasound 1500 etc for the fronts. Anyway last weekend while I was browsing around in Tweeter I came to know that Tweeter discontinued the Proceed line as of June 30'th. When I asked the sales person if he could cut me a deal on the B&K 2220 he said the best he could do is a 5% discount over MSRP but he told me that they had a floor model Proceed HPA2 in mint condition for $1948. My jaw just dropped to the floor seeing a $3250 dream amp offered at 40% discount with full manufacturers warranty. I told him I need a few days to mull it over. After spending three sleepless nights I said what the heck...so I went over to the tweeter and picked up the HPA2 for $1948 + tax and now I am full of buyers remorse:frowning:
Was it a wise thing to do buying a $3250 stereo amp when I have a 1K processor? Will it make my 2 channel listening better. I still haven't taken the amp home and put it in my system but I will in the next day or two (moved to a new house and am still unpacking the cartons). We'll see how it goes after I have it in my system. Wish me luck guys and thanks for listening.
P.S. Guys, I have no one else to blame but you all for infecting me with the bug. Now if only I can upgrade my speakers:frowning:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I can't answer your questions about whether this amp will improve your experience or whether you'll be happy with it. However, I will say that buying for the long term is a good idea. I've spent enough money 'moving sideways', and it took some time before I realized what I'm doing. For the last year or so, I've been saving up and getting what I want, and I plan to end up with a 'final' system. 'Final' being in quotes because it's temporary :) Actually, it's a final system for this room, or for as long as I'm living in an apartment. When I have a house with a dedicated room, I'll probably get a whole new set of components, but that's several years away.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
Aslam,
What speakers are you running? because i dont think the 3801 will hold you back at all, except for lack of DPL II.
The Hpa-2 is your first high-end component, and an amazing one!
What you need is a litle bit of planning to figure out, either matching this amp with the other components, or relaxing it, and spreading your budget more evenly.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Man I suffer from the same symptoms when laying out large sums of money for products, both before and after the purchase. In fact I have an Art Audio tube amp being shipped to me right now for $2200, and I am currently bugging the heck out of the seller with last minute questions. This is a great wat to vent fears.:b

Anyhow I don't think you made a mistake, although I do believe the Denon will hold you back some degree in terms 2ch playback. To continue along this path of better 2-channel you should add a stereo preamp at some point, preferably one with HT bypass.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Good purchase Aslam :emoji_thumbsup: That is something you will always have and enjoy. I know what you mean about speakers though. I just got the 950/770 combo and now the madness starts up again. I thought after all that waiting it may subside for a while... I am looking to go the DIY route probably. I plan on talking to Dave Ellis about building me some of his speakers. God, what am I doing? :laugh: Then the subwoofer, SVS or HSU I imagine, and then it should all be done. Oh wait, by then the new digital interface will be out for video and audio, and I really want a fptv and.... I love this hobby, its such a never ending quest its not funny. So now, Aslam, you can consider yourself a step closer to that imaginary perfection we all strive for. :emoji_thumbsup: Don't regret it. A year from now you won't remember if you spent the money on the Amp or groceries. At least that's what we tell people in Vegas :)

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I have a $1200 pre/pro and a $2300 2 channel amp, it was well worth it and I noticed a differnce over my Rotel (that I now use for center and rears).

btw, I thought "buyers remorse" is usually just the opposite, where you wished you bought somehting better,

Martice

Screenwriter
now I am happy with the processing capabilities of the 3801 so I thought of getting a killer 2-channel amp for my fronts.
Good way to go!! You should hear some differences with this setup especially in the bottom control and headroom areas.

One thing about upgrading (in the future)is that you really don't want to spend your money over and over again when it's not necessary. I think if you purchase a Sony TA-P9000es preamp/audio switcher before you purchase a pre/pro or new receiver when it's time to upgrade you won't have to get rid of a receiver that does a wonderful job on HT when all you want to do is listen to music on a higher level. The Sony unit allows you to integrate a separate HT receiver or pre/pro, separate 2-channel preamp and has inputs for 2 high resolution multi-channel players. I have 5-channels of separate amplification, separate HT processor and a 2-channel input for a stereo preamp which I use to run my CD straight to my amp while maintaining the highest levels of signal transfer. The Sony employs true 'PASSIVE' bypass(not analog bypass) between units. Flexibility is key and the Sony gives you that for about $450-$550.

IMO, the true draw of separates is to be able to customize the sound of your system as much as possible and not have to settle on the overall performance of integrated units that MAY have to make sound challenging compromises. That also means that although the Denon may be fine for you now you really don't have to chuck the unit because you want to have a wonderful sounding 2-channel system. Just add it to your audio switcher that allows you to put ANY 2-channel preamp in your systems chain without compromise. Tube or Solid State? It doesn't matter. Flick a switch and your processor controls your system. Flick another one and your 2-channel preamp is now in control.

Enuff talk now. Enjoy your receiver.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
The most expensive piece of my home theater is my Anthem AVM-20 processor (retail over $3K). It's the only piece in my HT that I do NOT have some regret over buying because I know it's the only piece of my HT that will last me 7 years or more.

In fact, I am presently saving for a Theta Dreadnaught 5 channel amp (hoping to buy used around $3,500-$4,500) because I know a first class amp could last me 20 years or more.

I always try to get the best I can afford, even if it's slightly out of my price range, because I don't want the feeling I could have done better.

Aslam, you will have that amp for a LONGGGGG, long time. When you consider the expense over the years of acquisition, it will be cheaper for you than getting an inferior amp now and then upgrading later.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Aslam you've come a long way in a short time. Did you move or what?
The not to distant past.
I'm just curious as to why you've gone through such a change in how you feel about this stuff. Perhaps that's where the buyer's remorse is coming from.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO you made the correct choice. I went through the same buys remorse when I purchase a motorcycle (twice!) HT stuff....etc. I think its a normal process some of us go through. But let me tell you, once you start enjoying your purchase, you'll say "I'm nuts, what am I thinking? I love this thing". At that point the buys remorse is gone forever! Enjoy that amp!

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I'm just curious as to why you've gone through such a change in how you feel about this stuff. Perhaps that's where the buyer's remorse is coming from.
Well there are a couple of things that prompted this change. The biggest being my hanging around with you guys. The bug was always within me but hanging around infectious people all the time gave the bug renewed strength. I still donate my money and all but now I am starting to indulge myself a bit. The second being my moving into a bigger home. In my new home I have a 22x20 living room with cathedral ceilings and I always felt the denon to be a bit underpowered. Also I have a big basement that I plan to finish and turn part of it (about 30x20) into a dedicated HT sometime in the future and so I would have needed powerful amps to listen at reference levels.
When I saw the HPA2 for $2000 I just couldnt resist because I knew that I would be happy with this amp for the rest of my life, perhaps. Its a true high current amp that doubles its impedance down to 2 ohms (1000W x2) without losing its musicality. The devil(bug) possesed me and I bought it, even though the angel in me was screaming NOOOOO!!! Even the most virtuous people sometimes indulge themselves :D
Once I move the HT into my basement I'll buy a B&K 7250 for the remaining 5 channels and later on I'll upgrade to a dedicated processor like the Rotel and later on to a good set of B&Ws. I know, I know I am going in the reverse direction. I should have first upgraded the speakers and then the pre and then the amp and thats why I say I am going crazy. Anyway all this is several years down the road. This upgrade should keep me happy/remorse full for a long time:):frowning:
Thanks guys for listening and sharing my feelings. I feel better already.
P.S. To the HPA owners: do you have yours on a dedicated 20 amp circuit or is it on a regular 15 amp circuit. The reason I ask is the manual for the HPA2 lists the max power consumption to be 2000W and I know a 15 amp circuit only provides 1600 W max. Also do you have your HPA on a power conditioner or are you relying on the power conditioning built into the HPA? For my dedicated HT I plan to have all 20 amp circuits.

Eric T

Second Unit
I know, I know I am going in the reverse direction. I should have first upgraded the speakers and then the pre and then the amp and thats why I say I am going crazy.
Hey, you found a great deal on the amp, and you jumped on it. If you were planning to buy an amp at some point anyway, then you did the right thing. When opportunity knocks, you have to answer!
I too am a victim of buyer's remorse, every time I buy something expensive. No matter how much I want it, or how much I know I will enjoy it, I always feel guilty for a couple of days. But then it passes, and I start to enjoy what I've purchased. You will too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks