What's new

Calibration question (1 Viewer)

Cagri

Second Unit
Hi. I have calibrated my system using S&V disc and Radioshack SPL meter several times since I change the positioning of the speakers quiet a lot. After adding a sub, I saw that the S&V disc's subwoofer level tone, which plays in turn with the left front, makes the left front woofer pop. I mean when the signal passes to the sub from the left front, there shouldn't be anything heard from the left front but I hear a constant "pop-popop-pop..." like sound. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Since calibfration needs high volume, I wonder if this situation has any damage potential to the speaker. I have Kef Q35.2's by the way, they are 91db 100W, 42 or 45 hz lower freq. response. TIA.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Cagri,

Although it's not very simple to tell from your information what exactly is happening there, one thing is certain: it's not right. And yes it could damage your system if you play it very loud (like at reference level). So you must find out what causesit, and get rid of that pop..pop..pop! A single "click" like sound when the test-tone switches isn't too bad, but a repeated noise is simply wrong.

Cees

Cagri

Second Unit
Cees,
What happens is, when the test signal passes from the left front to the sub, it is as if some of the signal keeps coming to the left front as well. It is more like a
faint "flap-flap-flap...." rather than the popping sound of a woofer actually. It can be heard from 10 feet away when the SPL reads 65 db... I haven't got the slightest idea what may be causing this. Everything is OK when I listen to other stuff, but the subwoofer test signal does this.

Edit-
I have just played the '5.1 Speaker ID' chapter, and front left is totally silent during the subwoofer test signal. But in that 'Subwoofer Level' chapter, it is flapping. Feels like part of the low frequency test signal is being sent to the front left as well as the subwoofer. I don't think that it is because of my setup, because if there was some sort of interference same thing should be experienced when playing subwoofer test signals in other parts of the disc.Can it be the disc produced that way? Any comments?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, it could be - but that doesn't prove it is, of course.
Because the right speaker isn't doing the same, it's certain that it is an error - somewhere. You could "prove" that it's the disc by playing it on another system.

What happens at the same sequence if you set your front speakers to "large"?

Cees

Cagri

Second Unit
If I set them to 'large', the sound is still there but it is less... When the speaker is set to small, the flaps are sharper, louder. There is a continious bass sound at the back, on top of it there is these 'flap--flapflap--flap...'
sound, being less loud when set to large.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I had a similar problem where my front speakers were receiving part of the subwoofer signal, and the result was that my receivers Dolby Digital Processor wasn't turned on. I had the digital input turned on, but it wasn't processing it as a DD sound until I turned on the DD processor. Once I did that, my front speakers stopped receiving the subwoofer signal.

Cagri

Second Unit
The receiver detects the DD signal in the auto mode just fine, there seems to be a different issue with what is happening here... I strongly suspect the disc, I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same thing with the S&V HT tune up disc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks