What's new

HDR TV calibration - preferred colorimeter available in 2021? (1 Viewer)

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
Hi guys - apologies for another probably silly question but i searched the forum for HDR calibration and didn't see any threads newer than 2017 so I'm hoping in the past 4 years things have changed.

In the past, I used an X-Rite i1Display Pro connected to a laptop to calibrate my non-HDR tvs, but I don't think it can do HDR displays. While i have purchased that newer Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Test Disc (and admittedly haven't learned to use it yet), I was wondering if there's a good colorimeter that folks are using for HDR displays now days.

I see that Spectracal has one for about $800, and it looks like X-Rite has something for about $320 under the Calibrite name but I'm not finding anything clearly stating that either of these would be good for calibrating an HDR TV set.

What do you experts suggest?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
the xrite d3 is a good starting point. It sells for 249. usd. I use a combination of the JETI 1511 spectroradiometer ($9,000) and the Klein K10A ($6900). In addition you will be needing a HDR signal generator. I use a Murideo 6G ($2500) and a Murideo 7G (5999).

kalm_traveler

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jake
the xrite d3 is a good starting point. It sells for 249. usd. I use a combination of the JETI 1511 spectroradiometer ($9,000) and the Klein K10A ($6900). In addition you will be needing a HDR signal generator. I use a Murideo 6G ($2500) and a Murideo 7G (5999).
Thank you - so I take it from your components there, no equipment yet exists that a humble home theater enthusiast who is not a professional calibration technician would be picking up?

I don't mind something under say $1000 or so but can't justify $18,000 to calibrate a $3000 TV (or even all the displays I'll likely own over the next 60-70 years if we're being honest).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks