calibrating - can't hear subwoofer on THX test pattern

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Matthews, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Josh Matthews

Hello, I've had my Kenwood HTB-544 for about a week. I just picked up an Radio Shack (anyone else hate that place?) Sound meter - $30 on sale right now, incidentally - and I was planning on doing some calibratin'. I am trying to hold off on the Avia dvd for a little bit.

I ran the audio test pattern in the THX section of the Phantom Menace DVD and I could not hear the subwoofer when it highlighted it. I did this late last night before watching the movie, so I did not want to mess with the volume too much. I tried the receiver's test tones and I could hear the SW fine. Do you need to turn it up pretty high on the THX pattern? Do I have the wrong sound setting on the reciever (usually I leave the reciever in the smart mode which supposedly selects the best signal automatically)? I did hear the subwoofer when I played the movie.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Don't trust the Optimode - It's inconsistent. It even says it's not for level-setting, so trust the receiver....till you get a disc.

Some here have found different versions on different discs, though, and one may be OK.

I have VE, so I'm not concerned with Optimode...

I love RS!