What's new

calibrating - can't hear subwoofer on THX test pattern (1 Viewer)

Hello, I've had my Kenwood HTB-544 for about a week. I just picked up an Radio Shack (anyone else hate that place?) Sound meter - $30 on sale right now, incidentally - and I was planning on doing some calibratin'. I am trying to hold off on the Avia dvd for a little bit.

I ran the audio test pattern in the THX section of the Phantom Menace DVD and I could not hear the subwoofer when it highlighted it. I did this late last night before watching the movie, so I did not want to mess with the volume too much. I tried the receiver's test tones and I could hear the SW fine. Do you need to turn it up pretty high on the THX pattern? Do I have the wrong sound setting on the reciever (usually I leave the reciever in the smart mode which supposedly selects the best signal automatically)? I did hear the subwoofer when I played the movie.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Don't trust the Optimode - It's inconsistent. It even says it's not for level-setting, so trust the receiver....till you get a disc.

Some here have found different versions on different discs, though, and one may be OK.

I have VE, so I'm not concerned with Optimode...

I love RS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks