cables for B&W

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kanian, Nov 4, 2003.

1. kanian

kanian Auditioning

What speaker cables whould you recommend for my system: receiver H/K AVR 525 and mains B&W DM 603. Do you think I should bewire the speakers? Thanks for help. Adam

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I would use generic 12G, from Home Depot, Radio Shack, or an online supplier like Parts Express. It works great for my 602s.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you don't have a separate amp channel for each set of posts, your next best bet is just to replace the jumpers with a very short piece of quality wire.

4. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

I went by the reccomendation of a trusted associate...at least bi-wire the mains and center. After all, B&W put the crossovers in there for a reason.

You can get quality cable at most HT stores...I believe I paid about $0.45/ft. I talked them into throwing in the terminations for free (Linn banana plugs, silver solder, you get the idea). I think mine is 14/4 (14 guage, 4 wires)...it's well shielded and is about as thick as coax.

I will say that this solved some sound issues (hissing) that I had before I upgraded from home depot/lowes wire.

By the way, I use bi-wire on my mains 604's, and center lcr600. The rears (601's) are not bi-wired but I have some good shielded "2-wire " cable running to them. Also supplied by HT store; again, looks like coax, cost about $0.33/ft.

Hope this helps.

5. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

6. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

When I had 604s as Fronts, I was originally using the free 12g wire my dealer gave me. Because I'm a tweaker, I tried several different brands on loan to see if it would make any difference.

Long story short(after much testing--I really enjoy doing that kind of thing)I settled on some Monster Z2 wire. IMO, it really brought out some detail in the treble that was lacking with the free stuff. It wasn't a huge difference, mind you, but enough to warrant the change(and I liked the idea of interchangable connectors).

So I'd say try to borrow some different wire and see how you like them with your equipment and your personal preferences, then make a purchase. Some internet companies give you a 30 day trial, so if you don't mind the wait and possible return hassle, you could go that route as well.

Also, I do biwire my 9NTs and CDMC SE Center because I can, but I don't know that it makes much difference if you have good wire to begin with.

Good luck,

DJ

7. kanian

kanian Auditioning

Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I guess I will have to get some cables for testing and then decide. [​IMG]

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

9. MWestyn

Brian,

10. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

12. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

kanian,
    I'm using element cable biwire speakercable from my B&W
    cdm-7nt to my HK avr510/Rotel rmb1075 combo with great result. They clearly beat my Tributaries and are one of the best looking cable I've seen at this price, no buyer remorse here. Check them out, they are at elementcable.com[​IMG]

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Was your hiss coming from your front or back Sean? Also were you running the wire for the backs through the wall? Any idea what the shielding was on the wire you bought?

14. MWestyn

Well, I just spent a half an hour writing a reply and the darned computer screwed up "could not find server" and lost the whole thing.

I'll have to get back to you another time. Grrrrrrrrrr.......

15. Jason_

Jason_ Auditioning

I'm using Monster cable 4C in-wall Its the white w/orange stripe. It's 4 conductor 14G and its thick. I have them bi-wired to my 604's and LCRS2 On the back of the amp i put the two pos & neg's togther on each post because my amp is not bi-wiarable.