What's new

cable splitters (1 Viewer)

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I am having a Sony 36XBR450 delivered tomorrow and I have to connect it to my American Entertainment Network cable system. BUT, I also want to connect a hard disk recorder and an S-video VCR. I have read posts here that the XBR450 is very unforgiving in regards to a weak signal. Will a cable splitter (1-4, from Radio Shack) degrade the signal too much? Will using a splitter/amplifier (1-3/4) help boost the signal enough to get a good picture? I have tried a Radio Shack splitter/amplifier before, and didn't see much improvement, and that was going into a regular 19" TV. Are there better splitter/amplifiers than Radio Shack? I am going to see what the picture looks like first with just the TV connected and add things from there (I'm not real happy with my reception as it is now on a 32" Magnavox, much less using an HDTV like the 450). My other option is to go for a satellite receiver such as DirectTV. The monthly cost would be approximately the same and I can get local stations from the satellite feed here in Phoenix. Only problem with that is that I live in an apt. and have to get approval from management to have a dish installed.

Any comments or suggestions?

RichN

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Rich, a lot depends upon how your connection box is configured. Does your box have several splitters already? Are you a long way away from the cable company's line amplifier?

Using splitters does degrade the signal. I don't know about the Sony being unforgiving on signal strength, honestly, that's a new one on me. I have like an 8 splitter in my master box, and a few of my connections in the house are so bad, as to almost be unwatchable. It's really an inacceptable thing as is. basically, I only watch my master TV now, and went through the box changing connections to get the best signal on it, and send a zone 2 signal to my bedroom. spare bedroom, daughter's room, kitchen, are basically inactive.

Amplifiers may not be a great solution, but you could try that. May I suggest getting basic direcTV for normal viewing, and using cable for local channels? I pay about 8 bucks a month for local channels, and get everything else off my dish.

Lex

Terry McCann

Auditioning
Rich,

I just had Charter Cable out to try to clean up a weak signal problem. One thing they did was replace a old splitter of mine rated to 900mHz with one of theirs rated at more that 1000mHz, all at no cost to me. You might check with your cable company and see what they are willing to do.

Terry

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
In regards to my initial post, I managed to get down to a 1-4 splitter and it doesn't seem to have much effect on my signal. The cable channels that were snowy before, are still snowy and the clear ones are still clear. All in all, I am very impressed with the picture on my 36XBR450.

On another subject, I am ESPECIALLY IMPRESSED however, with the DVD Audio from my DVD player using the 5.1 inpiut to my receiver. I've never heard EL & P's Luck Man sound so good !!!!

RichN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks