What's new

Cable gets snowy the higher I go... (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's my mom's cable, and she's in Florida so I can't just run over and see what's up. Adelphia is the provider, and I know they have cable internet too. Adelphia's been to the house several times and for one reason or another nothing improves.

She says Oprah (sheesh, ma) on channel 3 comes in great, but the old man's financial channel is on 42 and it's like UHF with no antenna.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for reading...

- CM

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Have your mom have the cable company come out and do a cable check...Sounds like a bad cable somewhere....They can check and see if it is from the outside cable box to the house or somewhere inside the house..

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Sounds to me like she's on or near the end of a loop, and Adelphia doesn't want to install another amp for one or two affected customers.

It is normal for the signal to degrade as you go to higher and higher frequencies, but the problem can be kept more or less in check if the cable company does a correct install (correct signal strength at the pole, for one).

If this is tested with a monitor at the cable entry point and no splitters in-line, you can see if the problem is in-house or at the pole. There's no excuse for sub-standard rx at the entrypoint, and there's absolutely nothing a consumer can do his/herself to remedy such a problem. Amplification needs to happen BEFORE the signal goes bad (garbage in / garbage out).

It should be pointed out, to Adelphia, that your mother is paying the same rate as everyone else and getting sub-standard service. They should also be reminded of the low-cost alternatives (like satellite).

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks