What's new

cable connection question (1 Viewer)

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, this afternoon I am going to hook up a friends new
hdtv.
1) it has hdmi input and so I will run one cable from his cable box to his tv.
2) he has one dvd player so I am running component from the dvd player to the tv.

my question is: this tv (a panasonic 44") has something called an A/V output(program out) I am not even sure if its
digital but if it is then would'nt it be simpleest to just run that output to his stereo for audio, then he could just keep his stereo on the same input all the time and it would
just play whatever he was watching.

please reply if I am thinking right and whether there are cons to this setup. thanks Scott

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You would not get DD/DTS from DVD's if this is your setup. You would have to hook up the digital audio out from the DVD to the digital audio in on the receiver. Also, if the "A/V output (program out)" is not digital, the most you could get is Pro-Logic from the cable box. Many HD programs are in DD, so you would lose that also. If it were me, I'd skip any audio on the TV side and connect directly to the receiver and use it for the A/V switching. As a bonus, if the receiver can upconvert to HDMI, you could just hook all video through the receiver and just have one HDMI to the TV.

Gregory Scott Bass

Stunt Coordinator
thanks....it is an older reciever so I will just have to hook it up for audio switching, no biggie, I just wanted to make it simple for him. Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks