What's new

Blu-ray Review Bye Bye Birdie Blu-ray Review (2 Viewers)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Watched it last night.
Excellent quality disc.
Color is spot on.
I had a feeling that the secondary music and effects track sounded fractionally better than the main track.
Just my imagination or what?

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by Dee Zee /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/90#post_3965022
Can someone post a link to a site where I can buy this blu-ray? I can find it on Amazon?

For future reference, whenever we review a Twilight Time title there is an order link embedded in the review. The Twilight Time titles sometimes show up on Amazon eventually, but that appears to be a hit or miss thing. If you order through Amazon you are still ordering from Twilight Time, unless you are buying a used copy

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
GMpasqua said:
I remember this happening - the Columbia Lady morphed into "Conrad Birdie" although I don't remember him being "Conrad Birdie" - I believe you are remembering another film. 
I've seen BBB in the theater a number of times and each time it opened wth the red flames morphing into the logo.
My memory might also be confusing the Columbia torch Lady with MGM's Leo the Lion who was also know to morph into other characters at the being of films
{Edited after reading response below this post}
This was the morph during the opening of "Cat Ballou". The traditional Columbia logo turns into a cartoon figure who strips her gown off, and becomes a caricature of Jane Fonda in a cowboy outfit. She then fires her guns into the air, the ground, and across her body multiple times! I'm wondering if the fellow who remembered it being Conrad Birdie but "not Conrad Birdie" might be remembering the legs posture, the tight-fitting pants, etc., of Jane Fonda.
cat-ballou-jane-fonda-columbia-logo.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Virgoan /t/322968/bye-bye-birdie-blu-ray-review/90#post_3965665
There was a morphing during the opening of "Cat Ballou". The traditional Columbia logo turns into a cartoon figure who strips her gown off, and becomes a caricature of Jane Fonda in a cowboy outfit. She then fires her guns into the air, the ground, and across her body multiple times!

Check out post #24 in this thread for that and other Columbia Lady fun. She also was scared by a mouse in THE MOUSE THAT ROARED and had angels flying around her in THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
Check out post #24 in this thread for that and other Columbia Lady fun.  She also was scared by a mouse in THE MOUSE THAT ROARED and had angels flying around her in THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS.
Wilma Flintstone is the Columbia lady on The Man Called Flintstone.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
ahollis said:
Check out post #24 in this thread for that and other Columbia Lady fun.  She also was scared by a mouse in THE MOUSE THAT ROARED and had angels flying around her in THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS.
And for more trailer-gimmick fun, Ms. Columbia has been "declassified" (although the Columbia logo is still "Pentagon-censored") in the current trailer for Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty" (the Seal Team Six movie).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the Mad Men cast and crew's Bye Bye Birdie music video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryFcDoWEjg&feature=related
Here are two songs from the Broadway version of the show as performed on the Ed Sullivan Show. " Hymn to A Sunday Night" ( Ed Sullivan). and " Put On A Happy Face". The Hymn has the scene leading up to the song which is neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks