What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

BVHE Press Release: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Hmm, maybe they will release a 3D edition packaged with the 3D versions of the prequels (or saga)? Could that be why it's delayed till later in the year?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I know the press release is saying a 3-D release is coming later this year but I'll believe when I see it. If they aren't doing it now, I don't think it'll happen.

Here's a link to the list of retailer exclusives (and the above press release): http://www.starwars.com/news/its-true-all-of-it-star-wars-the-force-awakens-is-coming-home

I tend to agree. I don't think it's anywhere close to guaranteed. And yeah, the fact that Big Hero and Frozen never saw a 3D release in N.A. doesn't give me a ton of faith.

However, if there are all sorts of retailer exclusives, I could maybe see them doing what they did with Star Trek and doing a super release down the line that culled together all those exclusives. Maybe the we'd get the 3D version.

Last edited:

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I tend to agree. I don't think it's anywhere close to guaranteed. And yeah, the fact that Big Hero and Frozen never saw a 3D release in N.A. doesn't give me a ton of faith.

However, if there are all sorts of retailer exclusives, I could maybe see them doing what they did with Star Trek and doing a super release down the line that culled together all those exclusives. Maybe the we'd get the 3D version.

Well, as mentioned already, the Target exclusive seems to be the only one with actual additional video content - more interviews and more production stuff.

The other two are just packaging differences - although the Walmart one does add some "Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc"... which means nothing to me. Neither does the packaging, so I may only get the Target version.

Though, honestly, I can't believe they are still doing these "retail exclusives". It's got to be cheaper for the studios to put together one package at a time and be done with it until the later re-issue, "special edition" or eventual UHD set.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, maybe they will release a 3D edition packaged with the 3D versions of the prequels (or saga)? Could that be why it's delayed till later in the year?

The ONE possible ray of hope that I see is that Rogue One is coming out in December so maybe they'll tie a 3-D TFA release in with that.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Or, they'll follow pattern and only release the 3D version in Europe.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm going to keep my eyes open. When I wanted 3D editions of Big Hero 6, Frozen, Malificent and various others, I had to go to the UK.
I still will likely pick this up for the making-of documentary.

I noted that the Diamond Luxe version of Gravity did not have the 3D disc, so I wound up having to buy both versions there. I bet the same thing happens here. You have to buy the 2D disc now, and then the 3D is made available with different bonus content later on.

I agree with posters who have said this will likely be linked to the Rogue One movie release. I don't think we'll be seeing a package release of all the other movies converted to 3D at this point. Lucas toyed with this idea a few years ago, but apparently didn't take it past Phantom Menace.

The bigger question to me is how long does the overseas 3D market continue? Or is the demand sufficiently high enough there or in Asia to continue Blu-ray 3D in those regions?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Part of me thinks that Disney could release a comprehensive set of all the alternate cuts of the various films (theatrical cuts of OT and 3D versions of the PT) and they're holding back TFA 3D as it's already JJs "directors cut", so the only alternate version they have of that one is the 3D.

But, then again, maybe not... ;)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Since they made so much at the box office, this initial release will be at a bargain price right?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As much as I like this movie, I can wait until the Holiday season to buy the 3-D release at the end of the year. Let them trick some other people into buying it twice.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Worse is that Abrams has done commentaries for all his other movies and a number of his TV shows.

Perhaps this will be case like Star Trek Into Darkness where the original release doesn't have a commentary, but the later double-dip does.

P

Patrick Donahue

As much as I like this movie, I can wait until the Holiday season to buy the 3-D release at the end of the year. Let them trick some other people into buying it twice.

Well in my case I still haven't seen it yet and I don't have the stones to wait even longer so I'm stuck :-/

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Perhaps this will be case like Star Trek Into Darkness where the original release doesn't have a commentary, but the later double-dip does.

Except the original release of Into Darkness did have a commentary but, it was exclusive to iTunes. Here's hoping though.

My concern about the 3D note is that it just says "version" and not "Blu-ray", this leads me to believe that it will be a $35 Vudu release like Frozen and Big Hero 6.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Except the original release of Into Darkness did have a commentary but, it was exclusive to iTunes. Here's hoping though.

My concern about the 3D note is that it just says "version" and not "Blu-ray", this leads me to believe that it will be a $35 Vudu release like Frozen and Big Hero 6.

That verbiage concerns me too, because if that's how they ended up going with Frozen and Big Hero then there's precedent already set. Also when has a studio announced that another DVD/BD is going to be released later on the initial release announcement? Maybe it's happened before, but it has to be rare.

I hope The Bits or another site will be able to get more detail on what they mean by "version" in the upcoming days. But the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to believe they are not referring to BD. However, the lack of commentary leaves a little bit of hope open that there will be another BD release. Take "The Martian" people speculated that the lack of commentary by Ridley who has done commentary for the majority of his films meant a more elaborate edition was forthcoming, and sure enough that is exactly what is happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks