What's new

Buzzing connundrum (1 Viewer)

Justin K

Auditioning
Here's the situation...

I have a digital cable box
and 2 amp's (bryston 8bst - fronts/3bst -rears)
and i get a huge buzzing from my system....
I talked to my local dealer and he said try unplugging the cable from the system, and sure enough it went away... (it was a ground loop hum).... so he gave me a ground loop isolator, and it worked like magic... all the buzzing went away and everything was peachy...

although... because i have the ground loop isolator in the mix, several of the higher channels on my digital cable now no longer function... i had the cable guy come over and he said it was cause of the ground loop isolator... so he removed that and voila, the channels worked again...

after some milling about, he determined that it was the bryston 3bst that was causing the hum with the ground loop isolator removed. (the 8bst was still hooked up and causing no problems)

so the delema is, either i have both amps hooked up without the annoying hum and i lose the higher channels on my cable... or i dont have a amp hooked up to my rears....

does anyone have any ideas how i can have my cake and eat it too?

the only thing i can think of is that my 3bst is on the same house circut the other home theater equipment, and that maybe if i move it to a new circut, that might fix the problem.... but other then that im miffed.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Have you looked into a good quality power conditioner for your amps?

Most have noise filter in them, but they can get $$$

For an idea

Brent

Justin K

Auditioning
How come the 8bst causes no problems, but the 3bst does?

should i take the 3bst in to get looked at by bryston?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Justin,

I assume you have the cable box connected to your system via its RCA jacks? Instead of an isolator that connects in the antenna line, you might try one that connects in the audio path, like this #270-054 from Radio Shack.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks